Shelling a Surface

I tried to do this Teapot in Rhino. Really the design of it, no sketch at all, just building in Rhino.
Apparently this is pretty hard and I have some problems with the shelling of it. I tried to rebuild the nozzle to make it a smooth surface, but nothing worked.
Also, i tried to shell the whole pot myself, trimming and joining single surfaces… It worked just fine for the bigger part but the nozzle is really hard.
Do you have any tips?
teepott lol.3dm (934.6 KB)

Hello Paul,

I do not know if this is what you are after for shelling out the area where the spout meets the wall of the pot but if so I dupedges of the base of the spout and joined the curves and then used wire cut to cut through the wall of the pot.

There are some other issues with naked edges on your spout and a trimmed surface at the bottom of the pot. And the pot and spout are open polysurfaces.

I am not finding any of the curves you started with so , for me it is hard to offer more.

Well I hope this helps a little, others will quite likely be able to help more.

Thank you,

Andy

edit: I was able to get the curves to “show” [or at least some of them I imagine you originally used] along with the curve and section I cut out of the wall that I had hidden.

teapot_cut_.3dm (1.4 MB)

Hi Paul - I would greatly simplify the surfaces in the spout - attached here is a much simpler version to illustrate -
teepot_maybe.3dm (390.4 KB)
@Paul_96 V6 format here.

Also - keep in mind that a low spout like you have limits how much water you can put in the pot-

Normally a spout would end higher to avoid spilling

-Pascal

1 Like

Hey,
The wirecut option seems plausible! I’ll keep it in mind next time.
I deleted most of the curves, probably not the best idea, but thank you for your effort!

Greetings,
Paul

Hey Pascal,
Thanks for the advice. I used sweep1 for the spout. The curve which is connected to the pot was a project to surface curve. It had a lot of cpoints… Is this the reason for the complex surface which sweep1 produced?

The result of projecting a curve onto a curved surface will almost always have more points than the original curve. How many more points depends on the shape of the curve, shape of the surface and absolute tolerance setting. (Do not change the absolute tolerance setting to reduce the number of points. That will only make the curve less accurately fit the surface.)

Probably. Another cause is when cross-section curves have different structures. The curves used as input to Sweep2 are needed for a more definitive answer.

I`m sorry to bother again… I haven’t mentioned that I use Rhino 6… I cannot open the file.