ShapeDiver for Backend Computation with a Three.js Interface

Hi everyone,

I am currently developing an interface using Three.js and am exploring the possibility of integrating ShapeDiver to facilitate a specific workflow. My goal is to build a system where I can load a 3D volumetric mesh model from a local PC into my interface, adjust some structural parameters, and then use ShapeDiver as a backend server to compute these changes.

The process I envision is as follows:

1. Load the 3D mesh model into my Three.js interface.
  2. Modify structural parameters through the interface.
  3. Send these parameters and model to ShapeDiver, which then performs the necessary computations(I upload form Gh before) on the backend.
  4. ShapeDiver would then send the computed model back to my interface.
  5. Visualize the computed model in my interface and provide options to download the final file in formats like OBJ, STL, CSV, or SVG.

I am not completely sure if this workflow is feasible with ShapeDiver. I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on whether ShapeDiver can support this kind of integration and what steps or considerations I should keep in mind.

Thank you in advance for your help!

That sounds like you may want to use RhinoCompute rather than Shapediver.
Have a look here and see if it can suit your needs Rhino - Compute Guides (rhino3d.com)

Thank you for your response! I am new to software development and am currently also interested in Rhino.Compute. Could anyone recommend some beginner-friendly tutorials? Additionally, I am curious about why ShapeDiver might not be suitable for my needs. Any insights would be greatly appreciated as I navigate these tools.

@Shuo_Feng The ShapeDiver geometry backend API will let you do everything you describe in your message, while enjoying the secure, stable and scalable infrastructure of the ShapeDiver servers. If you follow the link above, you will find lots of technical documentation to get started.

However, while using the ShapeDiver geometry API will save you time and reduce significantly the complexity of your project, it might still be challenging to get started on such a project. For this reason, I would recommend you join one of the next onboarding sessions with our CTO. If you come with your questions, our team can set you on the right track.

Regarding @farouk.serragedine’s comment above, if you are wondering about the differences between going the Rhino Compute route or using ShapeDiver, this article might be interesting to read.

@Shuo_Feng given that you are new to software development, it might be best to use our viewer (which uses Three.js) instead of developing a web app using Three.js yourself. In order to make an informed recommendation, could you elaborate on what you want to achieve? Especially what you meant by your item 2:

Our brand new App Builder framework will also prove valuable for you.

Thank you for your reply! But since that is one of the parts of my paper-based project, I have to use my own interface to deal with other things, too.

Hi, Thank you for your reply! can I ask what plan can support the onboarding session?

Based on the specific features I want to include, which development plan would you recommend?

Ok no problem, it’s still going to work nicely.
About the required plan: You would need at least the Designer Plus plan.