Shaded View is messed up

The screen grab shows the problem.

This is a closed polysurface. The problem happened when I did a mergeallfaces.Here’s the file
powerstrip.3dm (3.5 MB)

I am going to assume that the reason for posting this issue is that you don’t know how to proceed from here and not reporting a bug (to report a bug, you would need to post the geometry in the state before it gets bad and instructions on how to make it bad).

The problem with the meshing indicates that something is wrong with one or more surfaces.
Do you have your -CheckNewObjects set to Yes?

To fix this object: run the SelBadObjects on your file, one object will be selected. Then run ExtractBadSrf and the top surface will be extracted. Delete this one and use Cap to close the object.

Exploded the surfaces and ran _SelBadObjects and the top one was highlighted/selected.

Going into the details the object is Invalid Surface so, I gues you need to remake it… or,
I just tried untrim on the borders and the surface was probably what you wanted and now is a valid surface.
(need to join to close it)

I want to know how you made that surface…

powerstrip_untrim.3dm (505.4 KB)

I first made the bottom surface with the two end holes in it.
I then extruded the surface into a solid bar with two holes.
I then created plugs for all the z-holes and boolean differenced them out to make the holes.

I originally made the four smaller holes the wrong size (too big), so I put plugs in them and did a boolean union to glue them in.

I then did a mergeallfaces to get rid of the circles and that’s when the problem occurred with the surface.

thanks for the fix

rex

Thanks for the detail steps!

Not being real experienced, I was hesitant to call it a bug, although it seemed like one to me. I didn’t know how to proceed from there in any case.

Here’s how I got there…

I first made the bottom surface with the two end holes in it.
I then extruded the surface into a solid bar with two holes.
I then created plugs for all the z-holes and boolean differenced them out to make the holes.

I had originally made the four smaller holes the wrong size (too big), so I put plugs in them and did a boolean union to glue them in.

I then did a mergeallfaces to get rid of the circles and that’s when the problem occurred with the surface.

Your instructions are very helpful; I was not familiar with them.

thanks much,

rex

Wim, I did what you said and it looks like the process worked, but there seem to be artifacts in the cap that move around when I rotate the part.

rex

powerstrip.3dm (3.53 MB)

Hi Rex - you have a ‘free’ surface floating on top of that solid object - select that and delete, it should be fine after that.

-Pascal

Right you are. I wonder how that surface got there? When I performed the “cap”, it seems to have put two surfaces there, although now that I think about it, I may have capped it two times thinking it didn’t work the first time. Not sure why it would let me do that though.

All good now.

thanks, rex

Hi Rex, my guess is you use ExtractBadSrf per Wim’s suggestion, but then did not delete the extracted face.

-Pascal