Setting per face colors command name

I noticed in my toolbars that I’m still using TestSetPerFaceColor. Has this command ever graduated from the test phase? Is there a proper command name now?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan - - Hmmm. yeah… this is handled by -Properties and subobject selection - but that does not support post-selection. Do we need a proper dedicated command for this?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I’ve created a toolbar with the colours we use for relaying information to the shop. I use the test command in that toolbar. But the test command works fine. I just thought maybe I missed something as I was going to type “SetPerFaceColor” to show someone the command when it autocompleted, but obviously it didn’t.

I don’t know that anything needs to change, especially if no is complaining. I guess the real (and only) issue is that you can’t type the command at the command line without remembering to attach “test” to the start, then having to type the whole thing. But I guess an alias would solve that pretty quickly too.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan -

You can simply use a macro that goes through the -Properties command. In a very quick test here, that works with a subobject face preselected.
-wim

I wouldn’t rely on a test command. Those can come and go. Wim’s suggestion is probably best

1 Like

Hi @pascal @stevebaer

We do need a command for this and a workflow besides the sub object picking. Since we already have a select face mode I envision the command would use that mode, let the user select faces then apply textures easily not just colors. Also we need to have object face material ids ala max or an easier way to drill down into these items for texture mapping and for updating. Currently the only work around I found was to create a dummy face with the proper mapping then use the match command in subobject mode. The problem is that updating and keeping track is a pain. I know this is more than Dan is using it for but it’s time to make this a more robust command. This is useful and is in all other software. Now that Rhino has upped its rendering game per object face mapping needs to be rejuvenated.
RM

1 Like

Hi @wim @stevebaer

I wrote a macro to set the per face colours but, as you mentioned, it only works with faces preselected. The testSetPerFaceColor allows both pre and post selection. It seems to me that that is more in harmony with how most commands work in Rhino, and is what our users are going to expect to see (and how they are currently used to working).

I’m not sure what’s involved to “graduate” a test command to a regular command, but at the very least could you not kill off this test command?

Thanks,

Dan

What about getting -properties to work with post select when nothing is selected? It seems like this issue exists for all object properties

1 Like

Yup, I was in the process of writing that up as such.
Added as RH-66778
-w

1 Like