SetPt on SubD control points with snap

Hi McNeel (@dalelear, maybe?)

A peculiar little bug, I think: If I select a number of SubD control points and use SetPt to align them (in this case on the Y-axis), the bottom line of CP’s goes bonkers if i use Osnap to set the position. If no Osnap is used, all is well - See the attached GIF. Is this just my system acting up or is this a bug?

SetPt%20on%20SubD

TIA, Jakob

Hi Jakob - I wasn’t able to reproduce that with a SubD object that was created by revolving a SubD-friendly curve. Could you attach your model?
Thanks!

Hi @wim

Thanks for getting back to me. Attached is a very simple file, but it goes for all subd geo. Window select the cp’s inside the red box, setpt on the y axis (although the axis is not important) an use to osnaps to align them to the indicated point in the right viewport - although this goes for all selections of cp’s, in all viewports and on all axis. As soon as the osnap is active one of the rows of cp’s isn’t quite aligned. Sometimes the discrepancy is very small, sometimes large - and if the command is repeated, the get in line.

setpt on subd.3dm (147.8 KB)

-Jakob

Sysinfo just in case:
Rhino 7 SR0 2019-5-7 (Rhino WIP, 7.0.19127.13435, Git hash:master @ ac9fc7eee1740f34948b539a8452db69a2c4e3a7)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-05-07
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Jakob Normand ()
Expires on: 2019-06-21

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: NIK-Z620

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 4-17-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.39

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-17-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3039
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 11 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.0.19127.13435
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.0.19127.13435
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\KeyShot8RhinoPlugin (6c7d7caf-b4ba-406d-bfaa-8d719d8212c3)\1.0.0.0\KeyShot8RhinoPlugin\Rhino 5.0\KeyShot8RhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShot8RhinoPlugin” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.0.19127.13435
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.0.19127.13435
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi, @Normand ( Jakob )

Thank you for the clear description of what you’re seeing.
Using Rhino (7.0.19129.7405, 5/9/2019) I cannot repeat your experience. Here’s what I get.

The only material difference between my Rhino and your’s is that you have KeyShot8RhinoPlugIn installed and I don’t.

Would it be possible for you to load protect KeyShot and try again? If not, I will see if somebody in the office has KeyShot and if they can repeat what you are seeing.

– Dale Lear

Jakob, I just tested using Rhino (7.0.19129.7405, 5/9/2019) (Tuesday’s public WIP release) and I still can’t repeat what you are seeing, but I do get non-planar results in this version of Rhino.

I’ve logged bug https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-52523 to investigate this issue more carefully.

Thanks again for the excellent bug report.

2 Likes

Hi @dalelear
“Good” to hear that you are seeing non-planar results as well. If you look closely at bottom row of control points in the side view of first set of screenshots you posted, you’ll see that actually there is a small offset on one of the control points as well. As mentioned, the degree of “non-planarity” varies - sometimes it’s really pronounced, sometimes you can hardly see it. Let me know if there’s further testing I should do (I did try to loadprotect the KS8 plug-in to no avail).
-Jakob :slight_smile:

Hi, @Normand

The SetPt bug RH-52523 is fixed and will be in the Rhino WIP we ship Tuesday, May 14, 2019.

1 Like

that must have been the quickest fix in :rhinoceros: history as far as at least I remember !

Detailed, accurate, factual bug reports get high priority for quick evaluation. This bug report was superlative in all respects.

Then two things happen: either it’s hard and gets schedule or it’s easy to fix.

In this case, once I evaluated the bug and understood the root cause (which took an embarrassingly long time), the fix took about 30 seconds. Good thing Bob pays us for both steps.

5 Likes

Cheers @dalelear - thanks a lot! And on a more general note: I’m loving the development on Sub-D! Stable, easy to work with, easily understandable and very much developing :heart:
Br, Jakob

2 Likes