SelName is slow

SelName list when selecting a lot of objects is very slow or Rhino even freezes for a while. Seems like this is due to the object-by-object selection redraw. It would be great if there was no delay / have redraw off when selecting larger list until all objects are selected and show the preview only then, not one-by-one…

thanks,

–jarek

1 Like

Hi Jarek - are you using the dialog to select the name? My quick test with 1700+ objects of the same name is pretty much instant, here.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

If there is 1700 objects all with the same name, the selection is instant, yes.
But please try this:

1. make array of 20x20x20 boxes, for a good measure
  2. run this, to assign unique names:
    a = Rhino.AllObjects()
    For i=0 To Ubound(a) : Call Rhino.ObjectName(a(i), i) : Next
  1. Go into SelName dialog and try selecting multiple, or a bunch of them with Shift-list select…

Rhino tries to select them all one-by-one, which takes forever and eventually freezes for good minute, before selection is completed.
It is the case with some imported formats (FBX, Obj, SKP…) where each object has unique name, but with some sort of hierarchy) - so using names from list to select by type makes perfect sense, but not with this limitation. Maybe there should not be one-by-one preview when shift-selecting a bunch of objects in the list; just if single one is selected, or redraw off to add the Shift-list.

thanks,

–jarek