SelName (and a wish for V6?)

@MattE

Exactly!
I quess what I am trying to say that a tree would be the best option!
Like the layers and sub layers! That would be super awesome.

Something like:

Group
---->Part assembly
----------->Part

:smile:

Oke hereby the update for SelName

No groups or blocks included… YET … Have to find some time BUT you can change names. All selected objects will be renamed! Also you can search with a dropdown and press enter to confirm.

SelNamePanel.rhp (389 KB)

Top!! really nice!

Little bug I suppose, when rename the objects, the list isn’t updated. The object did get a new name, but didn’t appear in the list.

Oh yeah I see.
Here is the new one :slight_smile:

Ok it works, but only when hide and show all objects or when switching back and forth on the tabs.

it’s working here… dont have to hide and show a thing. When I press Ok in the dialog its updating the list.

But I only edit visible objects. You got some hidden?

Repost of the file

hmm strange, I tested both, all shown or some hidden… it’s not that big of a deal for now, i will test it a little bit further!

The best way to approach working with things like click events in panels is to run a command.

@jordy1989

I’d not had time to look at the updated version - some tough deadlines to meet - but now that I have, it looks excellent. Doesn’t seem to load up the CPU like the old one and the Rename facility is excellent. Thanks Jordy :sunglasses:

Names that are inside Blocks seem to be ‘hidden’ - they don’t appear in the list. This is where Names and Blocks start to overlap, in model management terms at least, but I think that’s more down to personal organisation (or my lack of it :slight_smile: ) when modelling. That’s why I was asking if Blocks could also be shown in the list in some way, as it collates all the information into one place, so allows you to see what needs to be done to get organised.

One other thought: How difficult would it be to add a column to show the quantity of each named object?

I’ve just discovered your tool. It’s lovely! Thanks for sharing.
Should be by default included in new release.

@MattE

SelNamePanel.rhp (390.5 KB)

Added a simple checkbox.
If it is checked items withing blocks will be shown :wink: You cant select them from the listbox but you can make shown in the list and hide them :slight_smile:

The count part is not that hard but I now put all items in a listbox and not in a Listview. have to edit some parts for that too work. For the count part. Do you want to count the objects within the blocks also?

2 Likes

My RH says your plugin is blocked (it says it comes from another computer).
Wiki McNeel is unresponsive. Do you have a solution for it?

OK, I have managed to unblock it.

Hi Jordy
There is a one important thing to consider. Your plugin doesn’t work in worksession mode. In only selects objects with the same name within active file, while original command selects within whole session.
How difficult would be to implement such extension?

@jordy1989

I’m not sure that I follow your description! I’ll install the new one later, then come back with comments… :smile:

Yes please! Also objects within Groups if possible. This is where being able to discriminate between:

Objects
Groups
Objects within Groups
Groups within Groups
Blocks
Objects within Blocks
Groups within Blocks
Objects within Groups within Blocks
etc, etc…

starts to get messy, I think.

Edit: @jordy1989 - just tried to install the latest version and I get a message telling me to install the latest version of Rhino. I already am! :confused:

Go to Check for updates and put it on Service Release Candidate. Then a new update will show :wink:
The bug with the black backfaces is fixed there.

Hi,

The plugin seems to interfere with SectionTools. When I have a worksession with a model and a lot of sections, the update of the sections is going very slow.
When I unload the Selname plugin, it is back to normal speed.

Any ideas?

Probably because sectiontools create a lot of objects whilte creating a section.
the SelName plugin checks if objects are created so the list keeps up-to-date.
If an object is created the list will be updated. Thats probably whats happening.

What are the commands in SectionTools? I’m not working with them so…
If I know the command names I can exclude them so the list wont update when you run one of those commands.

Okay, it’s quite a list, all command’s starting with st: