Selling NURBS models

The trouble is that most renderers consider their proprietary shaders to be a key part of their feature set.

Yup - I’m not sure why they chose a cone, because that’s a very hard shape to mesh with only quads. Certainly their method doesn’t lend itself well to the cone problem.

I was talking only about the UI, a single shading node based UI.
Why invent the wheel? Its done like that in each and every app out there.

OK - sorry, I misunderstood.

Could you guys elaborate on the “node based UI”?

I have no hands-on experience with all the good stuff. Vis for me comes only after tech. So I’m pretty much lockend on tools not really good for UVW and texturing.
Could Grasshopper be a way to go? I did develop Scarab for Maxwell Render some time ago to make material editing more flexible. Currently I am trying to extend it to texture mapping and other renders, such as VRay. Migth this be, what you are talking about?

I`m not familiar with grasshoper nor maxwell, so cant comment on that.

As for my point on UI, I think its best to illustrate my point with just another screenshot, this time from XSI. Heres an example of a pretty complex material which would be almost unmanagable with no nodes. In short, its about managing, compositing and layering multiple procedurals and rasters to different shader inputs (i.e. diffuse, bump, reflect etc.). Probably more experienced guys could give a better description.

continuing in another thread

Hi

If My NURB surface spits out a crazy triangulated mesh

Do you have a NURBS surface handy that does this?

• Andy