Selection History

@Jack_Zeng if you look at @pascal linked page. There is a way more advanced plugin there with lots of options :wink:

Selection Sets: Create, save and recall named object and control point selection-sets. See the 'read me text file included in the download for more complete usage info. Adds the following commands- SelectionSet, SelSetList, SelSetName, DeleteSeletionSets, RenameSelectionSet, SubtractSetsList, SubtractSetsName, GripSelectionSet, SelGripsName, DeleteGripSets, RenameGripSet, SubtractGripSets, SelGripsList

Didnt know he had a secret stash with gadgets like that over there. :stuck_out_tongue: Only thing he is missing is a Jetpack.

Thanks Hans. your method is quite inspiring.
I will think about it see if it can be further develop.

Cheers,

Thank you Pascal!
It is quite informative, seems it needs sometime to digest~~ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hi Jack - here are probably more options than is practical to use, in that tool, since I was just trying stuff to see what worked best. If you end up using it in real life, I’d be curious to know which parts you find you use and which you don’t.

thanks,
-Pascal

Ok @pascal I just came across an example where this would be nice, but discovered an additional twist.

I extruded a text object group into solid letters. I forgot to group the result, and moved the text group. Then I went to select the solid letters, and realized how I had goofed by not grouping them immediately after creating them. SelLast won’t work because the curves are now the last set.

Of course, the solids were never selected so they wouldn’t have been a set anyways (even though SelLast would have worked on them, which is odd IMO). So now I have to go back and select all of the solid letters again.

So the twist is that the resultant objects of an operation, whether they get selected as the next object or not, should also go into the selection set history.

(As an aside, if I use a group to create a set of objects, shouldn’t that set of objects also be grouped? Seems like it’s sometimes yes, sometimes no in practice.)

The upshot of this is that it seems like this whole thing could potentially get a lot easier by using SelLast to create the selection sets within your script. You may get some repeats that way (not sure about that), but you could always compare with the previously saved selection set and make sure the next one won’t be a repeat.

Hi @hanscad, OK. So you’re asking for a SelLastCreated command? Michael VS

Hi Michael -

SelLast does this, strictly speaking - SelPrev works off the previous selection. ( ‘Last created’ in this context meaning last added to the document by Rhino, so this can include objects that are moved, for example, since this involves adding a new object, internally.)

-Pascal

I’m saying that SelLastCreated should probably be a part of this hypothetical script we’re creating.