Selecting Geometrically Similar Objects

I am looking for a way to select geometrically similar objects, i.e. one command to select all 0.25" circles in the drawing. Being fully aware that this is a tricky problem to do efficiently, I was surprised to find this plugin, which claims to do exactly that, but the site hosting it is gone. Does anyone have a copy of this plugin? If not, has anybody written something similar?

Thanks!

This is the kind of thing I typically do with grasshopper, or a script. Here’s an example of a python script that selects all items with the same area as the first item selected when the command is run:

import Rhino
#Get a reference to the document
doc = Rhino.RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc
#Get all the objects in the document
objects = doc.Objects
#Get all the selected objects
selectedObjects = [o for o in doc.Objects.GetSelectedObjects(False,False)]
#try to get the first selected item, if it fails print a message to the command line
try:
    firstSelected = selectedObjects[0]
    objects.UnselectAll()
except:
    print "Select an object and re-run command"

#get the area of the first selected item
try:
    targetArea = Rhino.Geometry.AreaMassProperties.Compute(firstSelected.Geometry).Area
except:
    "Unable to measure object area"

#set up a list to hold all the items we want to select
toSelect = []
#for every item in the rhino document, try to get its area and compare it to the target area
for rhObj in objects:
    try:
        area = Rhino.Geometry.AreaMassProperties.Compute(rhObj.Geometry).Area
        if abs(targetArea - area ) < 0.01:
            toSelect.append(rhObj)
    except:
        pass
#for each item in the "to select" list, select it
for item in toSelect:
    objects.Select(item.Id)

Hope that helps!

Hi @ andheum

I just discovered your script and trying to use-it with Rhino6, unfortunately it is freezing Rhino every time I use this script. Maybe you can update the script and make-it compatible with Rhino6?

Thank you.

It works fine on Rhino 6 when I test it. Something else must be going on. Does your document have a very large number of objects?

Yes, quite a lot.

If I do select everything Rhino is reporting something like this:
1853 curves, 6 surfaces, 450 polysurfaces, 54 extrusions, 35 Leaders, 70 linear dimensions, 157 texts added to selection.