_SelectChildren question

Hi all.
It seems that annotation objects like dims are treated as children with Rhino, right ?

Therefore, when using the _SelChildren command (+ All option) to retrieve specific children’s ,Rhino selects all dimensions objects as well.

Is this a voluntary behaviour ?

Thanks in advance for any answer.
Rodolfo Santos

Hi Rodolfo - by default, dimensions record history so yes, they are legitimate, so to speak, children.

-Pascal

@pascal

Thank you for your answer.

Right, this makes sense from a programming point of view but seems to me not necessarily logical regarding the usage.

Regards.
Rodolfo Santos.

Hi Rodolfo - I am doubtful it would seem any more logical if dimensions were not included, myself… I would expect the opposite complaint! But - is it a matter of logic, for you, or is there a practical problem that this causes?

-Pascal

@pascal

Well, here’s my POV.

SelChildren is supposed to look for specific children’s we want to work with.
To do so Rhino asks to locate the parents.
Parents are then deselected and we get the related children’s selected ( history relationship ).

What I do not catch is why is Rhino selecting the annotations that are associated with the deselected parents?
These objects are not the ones we asked for and they are not associated with the children’s but with the parents.
In the example below it concerns some Dims & the CenterMark.

This behaviour is forcing the user to deselect unwanted objects before continuing.
With few objects it’s just an extra step, but imagine when having lots of dims concerned…

Logic ?

Regards
Rodolfo Santos

Hi Rodolfo - the dims are children of the object you selected as a parent - if you move that object, the dims move, as well as the copies of the object. Does that make sense or am I still missing the point? I can see that SelChildren could use an option to ignore annotations, but but it should be clear enough what is happening in the current state. Note if you do not care about dimensions using history all the time, you can turn this behavior off in the History command - this would also solve the problem you describe.

-Pascal

@pascal

Logical

More Logical

Too radical.
We mostly care about dimensions.

In the above example if we want ABCD
We get ABCD + 123 ?

Sure we can live with but …

Regards
Rodolfo

Got that, thanks.