Section tools for architectural documentation

I am not sure if I missed this option in all the reply’s above:

When sectioning an object the name, layer and color is changed. Is it possible to maintain all properties?

Hi Thomas,
You can set the section “Attribute” option to be ByDisplay or ByObject. That gives you some control.
Does this give you the result you need?

This is on the list.

@carlosperez @rajaa

We recently looked again into VisualArq’s test version and I have to revise my harsh comment about it. It has made a great leap forward and become a productivity tool! Especially for small scale projects such as single family homes it seems to be a good solution. It might not replace our current BIM but it is a great addition for schematic design and design development, especially for documentation.

I am glad that VisualArq is moving in the right direction for you. Please keep the feedback coming. Thank you.

Hi Rajaa,

This option will give you control over the color of the section curves, but not the layer or other properties.
It would be super when all properties stay the same:
-Layer
-Object name
-Display color
-Attributes (user text, etc)

Beside this I got another question:
Is it possible to add the option to project a skewed section? See attached image.
We use both; Unrolled for production, Projected for drawings.

Regards,
Thomas

This reminds me of an extra question:
-Is it possible to create sections with the option LoadfromFile in a way I described in the attached files?

ST loadfromfile.3dm (476.9 KB)

After reading this post, I still do not understand why there is not an option (or if I am overlooking) an option to see the background geometry/information that sections typically show. It seems that ST simply gives the intersections and not the geometry behind the cut line. Currently, the only way I know of achieving this is with a clipping plane, but then it’s hard to find the section cuts. I guess you can’t have it all. Unless, of course, I am missing something??

Hi brobes05, Does stViewSections command give you the result you are looking for?

Hi Rajaa,

Unfortunately, it seems not too. The command you speak of does show the section properly with the hatch and background geometry; however, when I use the section make 2d command I end up with a make2d without the hatch. Is it possible to have the hatch (clipped intersected geometry) as well as the background geometry and have them update dynamically with changes in the model?

This is what I am after. Thank you for your response.

What is the SolidMode for your section (you can change this using stEditSections)? You can set it to be “Hatch” or “Both” (surface and hatch). This way you can see the hatch and clip the front of the model when using stViewSections. If this is not working for you, can you please send me your model?
Here is a sample of how the hatched section looks when clipped:

Sorry for the late reply. I did not see your response. I have my solid mode set to ‘hatch’. Yes it does not seem to function as you have it. I can send the model thank you.

Also, I want to know if it is possible to create a jogged section without scripting. I am not the best with RhinoScript so I am not sure if I can make that happen. Is this possible?

Thank you again for your time.

Hi,
You need to set your SolidMode to “Both” in order to get the cap surface behind the hatch.
If you need jagged section, then you might want to look into VisualArq (http://www.visualarq.com/).

Great thanks for that. I didn’t think to set that parameter; however, now when I create a view I only get the hatch intersected portion and when I make2d of the the clipping plane I get the regular make 2d with no hatch. Is there a way to get both in 2d?

Thank you and sorry for all of the questions.

Hi rajaa! Section tool will only be usefull for arquitects if u can see the projected lines not only the ones that u cut with the section.and then export it to a 2d dwg vector line.is it possible?

Hello there!
I am sorry to bother anyone in this discussion, but I think this post need to be bumped up.
I’ve read every single reply but I still don’t know what is going to happen and I didn’t found any other similar discussion.

For my personal purpopes, the feature I miss the most is the ability to set hatches to sections by layer/object.

I just want to point out that this feature could be an improvement so great that it could really make the difference for many designers and architects.

This comment (2014, omg!) is absolutely clear.

Double thumbs up!

Any way, I think that the best options possible is to add a feature directly to the material editor itself. Something like this:

So… I hope to hear some news, I am very exited about this and for the upcoming v6.

Thank you again,

Filippo

2 Likes

Hi filippo, VisualARQ provides section attributes for hatching geoemtry in plan and section views.
Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/JHk1vJ1r0wo
The section attributes can be assigned by styles (for VisualARQ objects) or by objects individually. In future versions you will be able to assign these section attributes to layers.
Best,

1 Like

I have tried VisualArq but the point is that I don’t need any other BIM features other than section hatches.
VisualArq seems great, but it has this “properties” approach that it slows down my design process.
I will try it again for my next project, maybe I just need more confidence with this approach,

For now, what it comes to my mind is that we miss a simple tool to create sections with something more than solid colors.
That it should be a pretty basic stuff. (paradox: we can cage and modify complex polysrf nurbs with 5 degree of curvature but we can’t have a simple section with hatches/colors by material. It’s kind a weirdo) :slight_smile:

Thank you anyway for your kind reply

2 Likes

^ Yes! It would also be nice if that section hatch was just a “visual entity” and not a regular hatch object, so we don’t have to waste our time to organize it (don’t need layers for it, don’t need to hideindetail them in ghosted details).

I will have to read this step by step. I just installed the Section Tools, but it seems it is only for the 32Bit of Rhino, and not the 64 bit version as well. Also, I made a few suggestions on another topic that the layers could have “Clipping Plane” properties as well regarding organizing uniform ways to have materials behave when cut.

Thank you all so much for this forum thread… will read one by one.