Seam location on Pipe

Could you send me the file too?

I didnā€™t save it. Just took some pictures. I can recreate it if appropriate.

Hi,

This is my personal licence account (rather than work). Hereā€™s an update to that script allowing for a closed curve on or near a surface.

No idea how Iā€™ll make it work for breps yet though. Could you edit the topic tag to add scripting in? Might help get some of the heavyweights in.

better_pipe.py (1.9 KB)

That works on the closed curves now. I still get varied results with polylines. I get similar polyline failures with the standard pipe tools. These failures look a lot like the same kind of overshoot and trim back failures I get when filleting some times. I wonder if there is common code in those operations. I have uploaded my 3dm this time as well.PipeTest.3dm (9.0 MB)

I donā€™t see where I can change the tags.

Hmm - yeah Iā€™m seeing that the same kind of problems are there with Pipe normally, that itā€™s failing. Iā€™m certainly not gonna cook something better than that overnight :sweat_smile:

If I was to give you a ā€˜delayingā€™ answer, it would be that the curves could be cleaned up a little bit for the pipe result to be good. Although my attempts achieved nothing. Seems more like a genuine bug with the Pipe command, or at least someone could do us the good service of explaining why the failure is.

I really couldnā€™t crack this one. Itā€™s going to be something knot related I feel, I just thumped at the keyboard a few times with MakeUniform and RemoveMultiKnot to no avail. This worked at R0.2 but totally fails at 1mm. My guess, is that there are enough points within the 1mm radius of the break point which cause confusion.