Scaling by item

Hello! My question is simple now, - am I able to scale the large amount of groups (grouped are curved mono-spaced fonts) so the each of them stayed in its initial places?
For instance MODO have a Local Action Axis feature to achieve that, I’m pretty sure there’s some way to do the same in Rhino.

(Vanessa Steeg) #2

Hi @Mikey - I think you’re looking for the BoxEdit panel. You’ll find it in the Panels menu. Make sure you check the “Transform objects individually” checkbox.

Hi Vanessa, thank you for a hint I really haven’t seen this tab before (more into surfacing things). Though it was quite close to what I need I can see that Rhino differs meanings ‘Item’ and ‘Group’ in this particular case.

Grouped curves are transformed not around the group center but around each own centers. Is there any other way to do this operation? : (

(Vanessa Steeg) #4

@Mikey - In that case, uncheck “Transform objects individually”. Does that do what you’re looking for? Of course, if you select multiple groups, they will all be transformed from a single common bounding box. There’s no way, that I know of, of transforming each group individually from its own bounding box when multiple ones are selected, since groups are not considered object types in Rhino, it’s more of a selection feature.

(Vanessa Steeg) #5

Another idea is to try with Blocks instead of Groups. If you Block the text curves together, then you make copies of the block, you should be able to transform multiple blocks from each block’s bounding box.

(jesterKing) #6

Additionally an object can belong to more than one group. That would make it hard to apply the expected transform to such an object.

Vanessa, it is my fault that I’ve attached the screenshot with the copies of the single item. Sure thing I need all those annotations unique and there’s a lot of them. I also was thinking of blocks but it’s definitely not the thing which can handle unique groups. It seems I’ll have to do all this manually, so let it be the last serious issue…

jesterKing, in fact I have here quite sophisticated groups structure as you said, and it definitely get things worse when it comes to blocks and similar stuff, so again - it worth to keep calm and do all this by hands : )

The last one thought is a mighty grasshopper which I’m not into by any chance : | Seems it’s time to spent time to learn it too!

Vanessa thank you for Your time anyway : )

you could try this script by @Helvetosaur:
Group to block

to convert your groups to blocks, then boxedit individual blocks, then explode/purge them.

-jarek

Jarek sorry I had to switch to another task and haven’t time to check this topic. This is exactly what I need, thank you very much! Now I would like to be able to go backwards and convert those block to groups : ) It’s really very undesirable to have all those annotations exploded to a hundreds of curves.

Emm… a quick search brings me right here but the thing is that I’m not into scripting at all… honestly, I tried the script you had suggested the first time and I liked it! : )

So here’s the Wiki answerer’s quote: ‘Using this code, you should be able to write a script that will group the exploded components.’ Does it mean that I have no chance to use this code or it’s just about to add some few symbols and it’ll work? I’ve no idea what it’s all about.

And one more things, what is the ‘NESTED’ blocks that had been told here? Is it somehow referred to an objects nesting for cutting? Thank you!

Hi Mikey,

Is this still something you need? Sorry, I was unplugged from the forum for a couple of weeks.
This is still probably doable to convert groups to blocks, and then explode them back into groups per block with some scripting…

–jarek