Scale issue with .svg

Already on the pseudo-print form you can tell something fishy is going on.

Rhino_svg.zip (31.3 KB)

On plugin page citing 1 year old Laurent comment "… I distributed the sources (to Mc Neel and others) but didn’t see some new work. … "
:no_mouth:

Edit:
and the “virtual sheet” size and resolution shouldn’t be used at all. At least the resolution.
Also, exporting the same geometries with a different camera location results in different position and/or size on the svg file. Sometime even resulting in an empty .svg file!
It behave like a “print”, but it should not. It’s an “export”.

Thanks, that is perfect.

@maje90 - for now, a higher DPI appears to help (600) - however, we are still are not getting the simplified exact circles back, as in the plug-in.

RH-59391 Export SVG - special case circles and arcs.

-Pascal

Hi Riccardo,
you are right my plugin doesn’t work on Rhino 6, I didn’t tried to compile it for Rhino 6. It must not be difficult but it seemed not necessary as Rhino 6 export SVG… Like you I continue to use Rhino 5. I gave all the sources to someone but neither saw a result. I have no problem to put them somewhere as it is not rocket science.
I don’t remember everything but units in SVG are quite a mess. There is a logic but not so simple or not always well implemented in others tools. And yes it is more an export than a print.

From a “vector” source (.3dm , rhino) to a “vector” file, .svg … using the DPI seems, to me, a really really bad and misleading/confusing idea.

But anyway, even with 600 there are big problems:
2020-07-02 20_59_53-Rhino 6 Commerciale - Top
Original is small, exported and reimported is the bigger one, missing curves and out of scale/place.

eh… sadly I and my client need to use Rhino 6.

I am a lot on Visual Studio at the moment, I will try to recompile it this weekend. Hope I don’t need to make too much changes.

1 Like

You are a godsend for this community.

1 Like

I believe circles and arcs still need to be special cased. We currently convert curves to Beziers fit within tolerance defined by the DPI.

My SVG exporter Plugin for V6 is now in Food4Rhino,
it has the same options as before. I didn’t test it a lot. Report the bugs.

In Save As menu it will appear beneath Rhino exporter
1 Like

Hi to all,

I’m trying to import SVG (made in other software) to Rhino. Unfortunately, the issue with scaling is still present. The scaling factor is 118.111 and I’m wondering from where (SVG units are in cm)?
Are there any improvements in RH regarding this problem?
Is there any way to overcome the problem?

Stay healthy

RH-44145 is fixed in the latest WIP

Hi Brian. Looking at the notes in RH-44145 - does that mean that svg is able to support / preserve arcs as arcs? I’d always assumed it was like Illustrator and everything became Beziers.

Yes, svg supports an arc element and Rhino 8 tries to write these elements when it encounters arc shaped curves during writing.

1 Like