Save As failure bug 6.16.19134.12066

Some more Synology config info:

• We sync using the CloudSync service with a cloud storage provider
  • We have two back ups locally, one which runs hourly and one daily. Both using Synology Hyperbackup

I’ve just had a thought here. My hypothesis:
Something is occurring which is making these files become ‘read only’. This then stops saving working (obviously) which is then making me save a duplicate of the file. When this event occurs, it is also preventing saving full stop to the network folder, hence save and save as both not working.

During these periods and occurrences, we’ve not had problems with other apps saving successfully to the Synology.

I’ve now updated to Version 6 WIP (6.16.19163.10464, 2019-06-12)
Expires July 27, 2019.

I have no idea if these issues are linked, but I have a feeling that at least some are.

In the same files, I am now seeing display errors and artefacts. I suspect something is really going wrong with these files.

I’m going to do an export and try to get it set up from scratch in a new file and see what happens. Maybe this might be of interest to @nathanletwory as well. Shaded view and then a video showing what happens when enabling Raytrace.

Doing an ‘export selected’ into a new file has not resolved this particular issue. It’s a 10min exercise given the time saving and loading of this is taking.

That doesn’t look right indeed.

Would you mind sharing this version of your file with me at rhino3d.com/upload?to=nathan@mcneel.com ?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve uploaded a file. I think it is the right one, I’m just checking but I’m having such a nightmare with file load times it’s taking FOREVER

One of the materials on the chair model is causing a huge spike in memory usage - I’d say leak. On Windows I can open the file, and look at the material in the materials panel just fine. On the Mac memory usage shoots through the roof. The material in question is the one with 8000x6000 texture on it,. While I investigate what the exact cause is I suggest you delete the chair model from the file and maybe re-import with smaller textures.

I’ll let you know my further findings.

Thanks, ive tried exporting selected and unchecked textures and selected save small. It brings the total file size down to about 16MB, presumably without this problematic texture.

Sadly the file still takes forever to load. Different versions of the same model render OK albeit sometimes with that strange glitch in render view, but in Raytrace it is then correct. Just this one version where it completely fails.

The only difference between the different models is the roof geometry.

@robinp this thread has gotten really confusing for me. Several times you’ve said things like “whether I open it from Synology or Desktop” - because of this, I’m going to pause investigation of working with our Synology until Nathan has more details.

Also - are you able to reproduce this problem with the same models on different computers?

Can you reproduce the problem when opening from the desktop on those other computers?

With the chairs deleted from the file you uploaded I can quite quickly load the file and switch to Raytraced.

I didn’t actually open your file, rather import - that in case you have saved the file with a Raytraced or Rendered view active, because that is going to hog memory and be very, very slow. I was not patient enough to wait for Rendered mode or Raytraced to start work, after 15GB of RAM being eaten and nothing happening for several minutes I just killed Rhino.

I have tracked it down to what appears to be a memory leak with the texture reading.

Anyway, loading and saving the imported stuff is not slow from the desktop over here.

Hi Brian

What’s happened is that as I’ve been investigating I’ve come across other problems that initially I thought were linked. Perhaps they are linked. I do not know.

The issue with saving failing entirely has only occurred, so far, with Save and Save As to our synology. What I’ve been wondering is whether it is linked to this obvious performance issue I’m having with this (and other) files. It is quite likely that this is actually two completely separate issues but I just don’t know.

You are right; it is confusing! And sorry if I’ve not clearly communicated the subtleties effectively as the problem or various problems have evolved.

This file loading issue is, from memory, unique to this file / group of files. The save / save as issue has occurred with other files previously, albeit quite large ones.

I have yet to find a consistent method for reliably reproducing the save / save as issue.

I’ve created a new thread about the texture issues that are resulting in very long saving and opening times. It is here:

This thread should be focussed on the intermittent failure of Save and Save As when working with files on a Synology NAS.

Sorry for any confusion caused.