Same size hexagons on curved surface like hemisphere

Hello
I want to cover a hemisphere with hexagons, but hexagons are not the same size and get smaller and bigger. How can I make them one size?

To get them close to each other you need to equalize them using kangaroo. It won’t be 100% exact but close enough.

Also you need to run it on a triangulated mesh.

I found a project that I designed few years ago, you can use the script to generate Hexagons & Pentagons, the script is a bit old and messy, but you can see how it may help you understand the principles.

Honeycomb Sphere.gh (30.9 KB)

also If you want to expand your knowledge furthermore, I highly recommend this Class:
https://thinkparametric.com/courses/panel-clustering-using-machine-learning-soumaya-museum

See also some previous posts on this

You can’t cover a full sphere with just hexagons. You can cover a half sphere, but the hexagons will have to vary a lot in size.
If you include some pentagons or heptagons you can get less variation in size. For general freeform surfaces you can get this sort of pent/hex/hept mesh with TriRemesh. For spheres specifically, you could use a geodesic dome, based on a dodecahedron.

1 Like