RS MeshOffset not working in V7

Hi @Dale,

Looks like RhinoScript MeshOffset method no longer works in V7.
Could you please take a look? Some of the more complex plugins rely on this method over here and they no longer work.

thank you,

–jarek

Hi @Jarek,

Can you post some geometry and some sample code that used to work but no longer does?

– Dale

Hi @Dale,
Yes, I will prepare it once back at my desk, but I was even testing it with a simple mesh box and the MeshOffset method one-liner code.
thanks,
–jarek

Hi @Dale,
I did some more investigating into the problem and what I think causes the script to fail is change of output behavior of the method in V7 vs. earlier versions.
Using this code:

m = Rhino.GetObject("Mesh?", 32)
Call Rhino.MeshOffset(m, -1, True)

I get a MeshBox object, note the offset option is set to True for Solid offset.
Before V7 when offsetting a closed mesh as solid, the output will be same exact box, just smaller/bigger based on the offset value.
In V7, the result is a “hollow” mesh, meaning it consists of both the inner and outer shapes. This over here was causing the script to fail. Now that I see that I can have it fixed since the method still works but with different output. Not sure if this is an intentional change but I can manage to work around this.

many thanks,

–jarek

Hey @Jarek,

From what I can tell, by comparing V6 and V7 source, is that the solidify parameter was never used in V6, and now it is in V7.

– Dale

Hi @Dale,

Yes, that is correct, changing the parameter to False fixed the problem in V7 and addressed the new (correct) behavior.
Thanks-

–jarek