Rotated camera for layout view freezes Rhino when trying to print

When printing layouts - if I have a rotated camera view, with Hidden display mode, Rhino just freezes when going to the print window.
It doesn’t seem to be a problem with any other display mode.

This is just a spec on the list of all the problems Rhino Layouts has… throw in VisualARQ into the mix, with all the cutting planes and display modes, and with every project I die a little inside.
I wonder if we ever get a good layout tool for documenting drawings in Rhino.
It must be the weakest aspect of Rhino.

I’ve been collecting a list of the problems I encounter with Layouts, so I’ll post them to a proper topic, but just wanted to point out this specific problem since it’s specifically caused by VisualARQ.

Hi @ANDhitecture,

Please, could you send us this file so that we can reproduce the problem? If I understood correctly, you have this problem when you try to open the “Fund” layout, is that it?

Yes, please! And it could be also interesting for us if you tell which features related with layouts you would like to have, maybe we could develop some of them with VisualARQ.

No, not when I try to OPEN but when I print it, with that specific rotated view in Hidden mode.

Oh mate, don’t get me started… :smile:
To be honest I wouldn’t really know where to start. Over the years I’ve wasted so much time trying to “decode” the layout system, with no desired outcome.
I’ve settled to use the layout system to print out the views and annotation elements, and arrange them in a different software - Affinity Publisher (previously Adobe InDesign).

Example from the referenced problem:
This is how the layout needs to look like>

This is what I’m printing from Rhino>

• keep in mind that I’m printing each view separately to get the above result.
    1 - The layout view as vector;
    2 - The annotation elements as vector;
    3+4 - The sections (horizontal ones) + The section (vertical one) as raster in Shaded view;
    5+6 - The sections (horizontal ones) + The section (vertical one) as vector in Hidden view; - in this case the vertical view is in Wireframe.
    So I’m producing up to 10 pdf files where I need to have more views.

Maybe I’m not following the set protocols fully, but I have my reasons.
As the rule that vector always goes above raster, drawing order (something that Rhino can’t fix for ages - maybe R8 will), views overlay, different Display modes for elements…

Wish> Some type of panel for controlling Display mode on objects (or at least for layout details).

I haven’t used a software that I can point out - to be doing layout editing and printing 100% right. Maybe Revit does a few things right, but they still stubbornly do some things the same that were a problem in the AutoCAD days.
One thing that I always envy is their annotation system - where the dimensions follow the modifications on elements. Rhino does this with history, but one skipped step and the history tie-in is done.

I’ll keep in mind and follow up with the full list over the holidays and ping you, and we can have a more productive chat.

PS. Since we are already using Rhino.Inside.Revit, we were discussing with my colleagues that maybe we should transfer the documenting process fully in Revit, but I really love that I can have different Display Modes with doing Layouts with Rhino.

Hi @ANDhitecture,

Ok, so could you send us the file so that we can reproduce it? You can post it here or send it to visualarq@asuni.com.

Why are you printing them separately? Maybe you can do something like this: https://youtu.be/wZbDUH_VcBA

What do you mean? You can already change the display mode in detail views. You can also change the display mode of a single object with the “SetObjectDisplayMode” command.

We already have an entry with this topic in our list, so that dimensions are linked to objects. In fact, it is one of the features planned for VisualARQ 3: https://www.visualarq.com/features/roadmap/. I will keep you updated about this.

Yes, please. We are interested in improving the documentation system so maybe there are some some features we can add in VisualARQ.

This is where the problem from the other end comes - of course I can print them all together, but it’s much easier to control and edit them when they are separate, since Publisher even tho it imports the layer system - it ridiculously hard to manage objects where every curve (especially when you have hatches) is a different object.

I’m not doing this with every layout, just when I have a complex overlay of different views.

PANEL is the keyword. A more elegant way to assign different Display modes and have a feedback information which display mode is assigned to which object.
We have a dozen custom display modes, so it’s a pain to figure out which display mode is assigned.

I’ll send it over the weekend.

1 Like