Rotate a rectangle around a circle

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a circle CNR which I have created and have evaluated the curve and reparametrized it so that I can track several points 360 degrees around it. I then have created a rectangle based on the points. I would like the rectangle to rotate tangentially to the curve not flat onto the curve and have attempted to do this with a rotate 3d component and the y axis, but it does not rotate around the circle, simply remain at an angle to the circle. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Basic Rectangle.gh (20.2 KB)

maybe you can use Orient component.

Your Crv is not internalized. From your description (“CNR”) I’m guessing it is a circle but there is no evidence of a Circle CNR component being used to create it? So I used an ellipse at an arbitrary plane.

Is the circle in the World XY plane? Whatever plane it is, you want the rectangle to be in the same plane, eh? (Or…?) If you know the plane, the cyan group isn’t necessary.

It’s unclear what you are doing with Rot3D ? I added a Rotate in Plane instead.

Basic Rectangle_2023Mar20aa.gh (9.8 KB)

P.S. Another way to think about this, instead of Circle CNR and then having to determine its plane, is to use Plane Normal to get the plane directly and use the simple Circle component using the same plane as the basis of the rectangle.

Basic Rectangle_2023Mar20b.gh (10.2 KB)

Thank you Joseph, I am still very much in the learning phase of GH so I appreciate your patience and full response

Me too, and I’ve been using it for nine years. :slight_smile: