Rooster with GH for Mac?

I’ve installed the Rooster Plugin and I’m getting all kinds of errors when I open a file that works great on Rhino for Windows. They seem centered around Rooster and NQuant. I know there are no doubt many reasons not to expect files to work cross-system, but I wonder if anyone knows whether Rooster can be used on a Mac at all?

I’m quite new to this, so please be nice - and also talk to me like I’m an eight grader since my Grasshopper knowledge is probably less.

Plugins that work on Mac will have an apple logo here.

Ahh. Of course. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have paid better attention. I’ll have to see if I can remove those components and find another solution to image manipulation.

Or just use bootcamp :grinning:

that is not fully correct, i successfully installed some plugins which do not exhibit an explicit apple logo.

Unknown

that is not fully correct, i successfully installed some plugins which do not exhibit an explicit apple logo.

It means the author did not intend it for mac (if it works it works, clearly it does not)

Unknown

I don’t use mac anyway so, then use a PC? :man_shrugging:

maybe, but that is not a real indicator for it to not function on mac, you dont want to discourage someone with incomplete information i hope.

you dont want to discourage someone with incomplete information i hope.

Actually I do, I wouldn’t want anyone relying on a plugin that may be supported one day and not the next (rhino update) because the dev is not targeting mac specifically.

k :man_shrugging:

@abeebe39 Long story short if you get errors chances are it does not work, additionally when you have questions like this it is always good to post what the actual errors are via screenshot.

:wink:

1 Like

so i was curious about rooster and installed it, and what do you know, the component shows up. since @abeebe39 is new to grasshopper here a quick install tutorial: in the command line type GrasshopperFolders then drag and drop the entire rooster folder into those. restart rhino done. it will then show up under “params” - “util” or double click into the grasshopper canvas and type rooster.

the component shows up

He did not say they don’t show up, he is saying it is giving errors in a file that worked fine on his windows.

I’ve installed the Rooster Plugin and I’m getting all kinds of errors when I open a file that works great on Rhino for Windows.

I suggest we get screenshots of these errors.

yes, i did not read that completely, my bad. but if the component shows up it should work.

yup agree

Great. There’s a lot to respond to here.

Screenshots will follow, but I wanted to specifically address Michael Pryor’s tongue in cheek response to use bootcamp. That’s something I hear a lot and it surprises me to hear a community that is otherwise committed to efficient and sustainable work practices constantly pointing to a workaround that uses 1/2 of my computer’s resources and is equally, if not more, janky. What’s up with that?

But to respond to all of your well-intentioned advice:
The error message I’m getting is “Could not resolve type with token 01000008 assembly:System.IdentityModel, Version=4.0. 0.0, Culture = neutral , PublicKeyToken=”.

Rooster is installed and it loads, but the component that was originally written for Rooster isn’t outputting any data, presumably because rooster’s broken on my Mac.

So I’m gathering the solution is “find a different plugin to do what you want (or buy a PC :smirk:)”, since Rooster isn’t intended to work with Rhino for Mac.