Rodent survey - what precise mouse for Rhino are you using?

Using Wacom Intuos A5 for 10 years. There is nothing better. If you get used to it it’s the same as running barefoot compared to jogging shoes. Just feels like wearing prostheses…

1 Like

Until recently, the mouse I was using was a 15-ish year old Logitech MX510. The scroll button stopped working, so I’ve upgraded to a Logitech MX Master mouse. Fits wonderfully in my hand, sensitivity is good, and I can set the back/forward buttons to have different actions in Rhino - mine is currently set that Back acts as the Shift key, so I can orbit around the model, then hold Back and pan…it’s kind of like a poor man’s 3DConnexion.

Thanks for the tip, Joseph. I actually tend to only use the basic buttons on my mouse, my shortcuts are all assigned to keys on my 3D Connexion device. I couldn’t live without it.

I’ve switched to a MX Master since first replying in this thread. Its an update to the MX Performance and it is excellent. Most importantly for me the battery life is far better, it only needs charging every week or two. I still use my Wacom on occasion but mostly these days its the mouse.

Scotch 3M WR511 mousemat, wrist on the rubber coated gel pad, mouse can only be held so far away from the edge of that pad given length of ones fingers resting on the front two buttons, and I have a medium sized hand, takes L size Marigold washing up gloves and Nitrile gloves etc though , then pulling it backwards sees 10mm traversed then touches pad.
so a long mouse is already with its bum against the barrier before even being moved .

I am using a G100s set on fast, Logitech were helpful in this and said this is the one, adjust speed etc, gaming mouse feeds far more steps data to PC in 1mm move than a standard mouse. The change that occurred when Msoft went to win2000 from win98 saw standard mice with that rubber ball deliver a steppy line , Something in the OS change win95 v Win NT caused the effect., msoft admitted to me they were the cause, but never solved it in the OS.

Anyhow the quest to resolve this , for me, is the G100s,so I bought 5 of them !

with 2.4k views July 2017 clearly others are also keen to have a good mouse.

Steve

1 Like

I am using G.Skill RIPJAWS MX780 , this guide convinced me to buy that mice and i am telling you I have no regret at all,

1 Like

Logitech M570

HTH,
Don

2 Likes

I use a Razer Lancehead. Very precise but a bit expensive.
I’ve used various Razers over the years. Much of the time i also use an Orochi.

dlomshek

Tablet pens are neither precise, nor comfortable. The best CAD input device is a digitizer with cordless puck. I used digitizers with corded pucks for about 15 years. They are extremely durable and reliable. (I suspended the cord by a string to prevent tangling.) You can get them from EngineerSupply website: https://www.engineersupply.com/cad-digitizers.aspx

Logitech MX Master. Always with RF dongle. Bluetooth is BS.

Same

I must have gone through three MX mice and was going to buy the new Revolution shown above. Those things are pricey and while at Best Buy I saw a gaming mouse (G 602) that seemed to have promise. I put off buying it until I just couldn’t get any work done with my last MX, it would double click on the wheel if you weren’t very light on the touch. I did some googling on the gaming mouse and found it was really catching on with CAD types.

I've been very happy with it, lighter and higher resolution and once I figure out what macros and aliases to assign to the many buttons I think I will be more productive. Hard to beat for $38!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-g602-wireless-gaming-mouse-black/2397012.p?skuId=2397012

Now if I can just find my dream keyboard like this one!

My wrist has had complaints over my mouse use for a while. Large (so my whole hand could rest on them) traditional mice would feel good in the hand initially, but start to hurt after a few hours. I tried vertical mice, including a joy stick looking one, but they never felt right in the hand. This past year I found this Anker ergonomic mouse (Anker, by the way, also makes fantastic multiport USB chargers that are amazing). I can use it for quite a while without my wrist hurting, and it is still horizontal enough to feel normal in the hand:

Sam

Razer Death Adder Chroma, lightweight, comfortable in the hand, customisable :slight_smile:

Razer

My employer organised a lecture by a physioterapist and he strongly recommended these… although I doubt his credibility because he was surprised we spend 16 hrs a day in front of a computer. -_-

J.

I’d doubt more the credibility of an employer that makes you spend 16 hrs a day in front of a computer. At that point mice erninomics is the least of your health and productivity problems anyway.

1 Like

The Anker mouse is NOT ergonomic because it is vertical mouse, but Hippus HandShoe mouse is ergonomic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9SqvYkE-0I

The Hippus HandShoe wireless mouse is available in three right handed and left handed sizes (small, medium and large). Its quality is inferior to Logitech mice.

I believe the vertical stance makes it ergonomic. Having the back of your hand up, i.e. the palm down, means you have forced a rotation between elbow and wrist, and by definition are applying static stress by maintaining that stance. You can simply test that by standing with your arms relaxes hanging, notice how the palms of your hands are pointing towards your body, not to somewhere behind you. Rotating the entire arm with the least muscle action happens around the shoulder joint. Doing so will have the palms pointing to each other when resting them on the table.

1 Like

Logitech MX Master 2S

I HAVE A RAT 7 GOING ON 6 YRS IT IS JUST NOW STARTING TO ACT UP SOMETIMES YES I WILL BUY ANOTHER ONE AWESOME PRODUCT.
Thanks, Steve.

Could it be the rat7 interferes with the caps key on the keyboard?
-Willem

1 Like