Robert McNeel & Associates are in decline

To me the sampling size of this report (just over 300,000 businesses) and the nature of what iDatalabs does as a business model leads me to believe that this report is fundamentally flawed as a means to describe the true market share Rhino holds within the CAD/CAM community. The fact that is calls out CNC Software and Mastercam as two different lines is strange as CNC Software owns Mastercam. That means that according to the image below that each of the companies is running ~20-40 seats of Mastercam (depending on if you add both lines together or not);I highly doubt that statistic. Additionally, just over 3,000 companies use Revit worldwide… I have a feeling the true number is much higher than that.

Finally, if you look at a different market analysis (skewed more towards the CNC/fabrication/engineering) side of things you will see a very different pie chart… https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnccookbook-2016-cad-survey-results-part-1-market-share/

It is not fair to post a link that at a quick glance creates an assumption that McNeel is doing poorly and has basically no market share.

to

This is a fun topic!

The best software is… the one that pays the bills and that allows the user to blast off to the pub at 5pm ; )

8 Likes

From their page:

“CIMdata delivers Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) consulting, research, and education to global PLM leaders so they can make informed decisions on key initiatives”

If you can make money with that kind of work, its not Robert McNeel & Associates who are in decline…

4 Likes

That wording is typical “forked tongue” of criminal elites.
They’re basically saying “you’re gonna pay us a boat load of $ to conquer a minuscule market-share, and you’re going to marry us to do it (and go broke in the process).”

Currently thier stock is in decline, they are heavily leveraged and they keep laying off people. Thier subscription numbers are very low, way below projections. They are trying to strong arm companies into getting rid of thier perpetual licenses. Currently thier stock is still below the 25% drop when they announced a 1500 person layoff November 29th 2017.

2 Likes

Robert McNeel & Associates are NOT in decline:
cnccookbook%20customer%20satisfaction%20award

source:

In Italy, and you know better than me, rhino is not so diffuse as others cad SW.
in this last year for example, architects and other professional profile, are using and discovering Revit together Autocad or ArchilineXP(never seen before last month).
when i try to push their knowledge near rhino world, they think is not a good idea cause is not optimized for their businesses, but i don’t agree at all.
Italy under this side is really conservative .

I’ve never need any kind of Rhino advertisement or promotion in the wild.
Have you tried advertising?

I suspect that if McNeel has another roll-out like it did for V6, or if users continue to have DRM problems, McNeel will lose their base.

Right now, Fusion360 is ripping into everything, largely because it has built in CAM, which is becoming a standard garage appliance.

BTW, I love Rhino3D. I consider it to be the most intuitive 3D design/CAD program of any kind.

I am too dumb to comprehend modeling in other software.
Been using Rhino since 98. My brain neurons are somehow only compatible with the Rhino ergonomics and method of surface modeling.

7 Likes

Bob McNeel, nock If you are there!
Mcneel would need to hire some more developers, doing so would work better and the development would be streamlined. A stable version every 5 years is a bad strategy, really out of the market. Two / three years would be ideal.

Might seem silly, but whoever decided to have right-mouse spin the model by default, and to implement mouse-centric zoom, was the one that initially got me hooked. In comparison, every other software I’ve used has felt like working in a straightjacket.

11 Likes

I think that’d be Michael Gibson in 1992 and his Sculptura interface seeds that we are raving about to this day?

Only in the past few years they started implementing the Z-up viewport rotation in some other 3D apps. Before that free tumble was the norm; you’d get a badge of honor for not getting vertigo. The simplest things are the most annoying sometimes.

1 Like

And cursor sensitive zoom, love that they were early on that too. Most apps had viewport center zoom as defalt back then.

1 Like

It goes beyond just viewports though. Eventhough I copied all Rhino view manipulations to Blender I still can’t draw jack in Blender. My brain hurts. Need more IQ.

3 Likes

Maybe try something simple instead, like a mug. A jack is rather complex.

:wink:

6 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

Thankfully we have the gumball and now subD’s, so we’re good. T-splines is obsolete.

Fusion360 being on the cloud is a huge breach of security for users that care about their intellectual property and their customers/clients etc.

What? That sounds interesting :thinking:

Agree with what?

2 Likes

woow, it is surprising that a company with less than 100 members is positioned with the big ones, the performance of the Rhino team is applaudable, that they have such competitive software at a global level and above all they listen and support customers through the forum and other media. I dare not think what they could do with 1000 people in the team, congratulations to the team of Robert Mcneel and associates for their efficiency, I think that AI will help and play a representative role in taking Rhino to another level, since it you can see a very smart team and they are going to take advantage of AI to grow Rhino. On the other hand, I would like to suggest that the Robert McNeel team and associates conduct surveys in the forum of functions that users want and help to quantitatively detect the demand for said function (a survey like Twitter does publicly), in such a way that way would help your software roadmap

5 Likes

You are one of the best working groups.
If you had more developers on your team Rhino would be even better.
Your team is currently underperforming to hold up in big challenges.