RiR - Wall Location Line

What about now?

I think I finally found how to do it.

Hello Kike,
Now it seems to do what it should, at least for me and at least in that case.

However, after those changes, I think that input names are misleading.
Axis is no longer axis of the wall but Location Line and the bottom Location Line input should be named something like Location Line Type.

It is a quite crucial component and needs deep consideration if there should be more inputs or outputs.
For example, Core Boundary lines output, Axis of the Core output.

Architects and engineers of the forum, share your opinions!

EDIT:
Oh boy, bad news.
Now wall moves, but don’t flip.

Good point about the Input names, but before change this, I want to thinking more if we should have the LocationLine input here or we should create a new component to edit walls LocationLine, that allows you to change the alignment and flip the direction in case is necessary. This new component will be able to edit existing walls as well.

Does it make sense?

At first glance it does.
Could modifying walls alignment and flipping direction afterward be performance heavy - like double the work to compute?

In general, I agree that components shouldn’t be too general, have too many options, or too big.
I don’t know what is your vision about Grasshopper in Revit in general, but one of my biggest concerns is that it should be very fast and with the use of as little as possible clicks/components to achieve trivial results in Revit. Because if we make this path unnecessary long, then in bigger projects it stacks up.

Trivial scenario:
Corridor - two walls facing the same wall finish inside. Corridor clearance - 150 cm.

About the performance will be the same.
Revit API have no way to directly create a wall using an other LocationLine than Axis, so, right now are already two operations but in one component.

Having a second component is necessary for editing existing walls, so the question is if is a good idea having same functionality on two different components. I’m not sure it is.

More opinions are more than welcome.

By now I’m going to move this functionality to a new component to keep name consistency as well as allow changes on existing walls in the model.
We can always copy this into AddWall component again later.

I will be happy to test any new approaches to this problem if you will have something.
Is there any option for a newsletter when the new RiR build is released?

EDIT:

I just noticed this tiny gray text. Anyway, although I always type my e-mail address I do not receive any newsletter about new RiR Build.

Hi,

There is a new version available here.
Could you please test AddWall.ByCurve again?

1 Like

Hi,
I am on vacation but I quickly tested it on my laptop.

It seems that I ran into some problems on the same start - curve input. It looks that only one segment of the polyline is creating the wall.

Polylines are not supported, Revit walls should be created using a Line or an Arc.
I will improve the error message.

Previously, I always used polylines and they worked just fine. Did you discover some new problems with polylines?

The component never accepted polylines that are not line like, you can double check it in the source code.

Maybe you were splitting polylines in Grasshopper before feeding this component in your definition, but never directly a polyline. So nothing new in that aspect is just the way Revit works.

Now I see that in 2020 it also accepts ellipses, but no luck for polylines anyway.

You are right. I forgot about exploding and there wasn’t any warrning so I got confused.

So far looking good! Thanks for all the effort.

I can’t see Stacked Walls among Element Types.

This should work for Stacked Walls.

I got a pretty fundamental question… How do you receive a list in the ElementType.ByName component? Mine is blank from the start and receives list only after I connect to it Document.CategoriesPicker where I can’t find

This is where I got confused.

Revit Walls properties panel: Basic Wall, Curtain Wall, Stacked Wall

GH List: Basic Wall, Curtain Wall

I know I should put more effort in UI.
Category picker is annoying, but in that case you can search for a type by its exact full name or searching using only part of the type name.
I’m exploring other ways of showing so much information in a Grasshopper canvas.

1 Like

Wow, this search you just did surprised me so much… I would never guess that. Thanks!
I already started a topic, that we need some better Value List component.

And we still need a better one.
I want to generalize the search idea to a value list that took any list like HumanUI does.
This way you will be able to feed it with the Document.Categories component and filter-search by name.

This is the new one, is still not finished but hope it helps.

2 Likes

Hi, it was not super clear to me how to set location line so I added GIF, i hope this is OK
just right click over Location Line

2 Likes