Right click in grasshopper for mac not working

I am unable to reproduce this in Rhino 5 for Mac 5.5.3 on High Sierra 10.13.6.

@peter15 I notice you have a couple of third-party kernel extensions…

I wonder if Duet Display is getting in the way here. Can you please boot macOS to safe mode and see if the bug is still present when these extensions are disabled?

Hi Dan, Wim.

I have changed to a standard mouse instead of the blue tooth apple mouse and this now works. Thank you for all of your help.

I’m glad it’s working. That is odd though as I use an Apple MagicMouse (Bluetooth). It’s not a great mouse for Rhino though (I switch to a three-button mouse with a proper scroll wheel when modeling).

On a Macbook pro here and Ctrl Click isn’t working as a Right Click, only in Grasshopper. Works fine with my mouse but sometimes I only have the trackpad…

Rhino 6 SR28 2020-7-17 (Public Build, 6.28.20199.17132, Git hash:master @ b1f15b655bd1f5ae0d3d3257e3efdeb0a45630e4)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-07-17

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.15.6 (Build 19G73) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2

Intel Iris Pro OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 INTEL-14.7.8)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1536 MB
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro
Displays: Color LCD (221dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel Iris Pro (1536 MB)
Color LCD (1440 x 900)

USB devices
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

Rhino plugins
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.28.20199.17132
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.28.20199.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.28.20199.17132
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.28.20199.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.28.20199.17132
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.28.20199.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.28.20199.17132
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.28.20199.1002
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.28.20199.17132
/Applications/Rhinoceros 2.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.28.20199.1002

As a quick workaround you can set right-click to be activated when you click the bottom right corner of the trackpad. Maybe that works the same as the right-click of a mouse. It’s in System Preferences -> Trackpad.

Hey,

Using control+click for right click was also reported here recently and is tracked by RH-59829.

Thanks for your feedback!

Apologies for bringing this back from the dead… I can reliably destroy the ability to right click by moving grasshopper to a different monitor from the main rhino window (which would otherwise be very useful).

To be clear, when I say “right click,” I also mean ctrl+click.

I’m on a macbook pro, so here are the two possibilities:
rhino on built-in monitor + grasshopper on secondary monitor = right click works
grasshopper on built-in monitor + rhino on secondary monitor = no right click
grasshopper and rhino on built-in monitor = no right click
grasshopper and rhino on secondary monitor = right click works

tl;dr, right click doesn’t work when gh is on the built-in monitor

macOS 10.15.7, rhino 7.5.21068.13002, 2021-03-09

Just encountered the bug with right click not working in Grasshopper when on secondary monitor :confused: (macOS Mojave 10.14.6 ). Not sure but might have been introduced in the latest SRC - 7.5.21082.11002, 2021-03-23.

Just to clarify - Rhino i s running on main monitor, Grasshopper on secondary.
As soon as I drag the Grasshopper window to main monitor it works again.

Please look into it as that’s the main workflow for me and probably many others…
Thanks !

@curtisw Indeed - reinstalled the official RC 7.4.21078.01002, 2021-03-19 and the problem disappeared so it seems that the latest SRC introduced this bug unfortunately…

@curtisw - any chance for fix soon ?

Hi - I have the dreaded Mac rightclick fail problem also. looks like after installing the latest versions of both RH6 and RH7, I can’t rightclick on any components and get the context menu. empty rhino file, empty grasshopper file. drop any component on and try rightclicking and nothing happens.

I’m running the latest Catalina.

EDIT: just noticed someone mentioned in the comments above it was only failing on their secondary monitor, and indeed, this is the case for me also. if I move the GH window to the main monitor, it works fine.

Hi @jkozniewski, @Ben4 and @defenestrated.

Thanks for reporting the issue! I have yet to test it but I know of a change that could be the culprit. I’ve created RH-63853 to look into it.

For future reference, creating a new discourse post would be preferable as it shows more prominently for review.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

uh… so it’s not fixed in latest 7.6 ?
any ETA for fixing this (at least for next SRC ?)

Hey @jkozniewski, this should be fixed in the next 7.6 SRC.

so like by next Tuesday ?

and looking at the bug tracker I see that testing is problematic - if you could provide me with daily build I can verify that on Mojave

Yes indeed, this is a tough one for us to test. Thanks for the offer to test a daily build for us. Here is a link to a 7.6 daily build. Please let us know!

Hey I am testing this build on MacOS 10.15.7 and the problem has been fixed, I don’t know how to contribute to bug issues on the bug tracker so I just dropped this here

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know!