Rhino7 Slow to open from Jump Lists - Windows 10

Hi all,

Hopefully the title gives enough information.

We use jump lists in Windows 10 to access recent and pinned files a lot - basically all of the time as it’s just so efficient to do so - but since upgrading to Rhino 7 it’s takes several minutes to launch files this way, so we can’t practically use this functionality.

Any ideas?

Launching files directly from file folder seems to be fine.

Cheers
James

Hi @james2,

Does this happen on one system or on several? Can you provide us instructions on how we can repeat what you are experiencing?

Thanks,

– Dale

Hi Dale,

Thanks for quite reply.

It appears to be happening on at least one other system that I know of for sure, but believe there are a couple of others. We are all working remotely at the moment, so we are not necessarily using our workstations, or have them accessible to check.

Effectively, if I right click the R7 toolbar, a list of recent files populates in the jump list. Whether I left click on the file I want (selecting it normally), or right-click on the file and select open with Rhino 7, I will have no response from Rhino for several minutes.

Sorry, I am unable to give you any more information, as we don’t know! All other programs, including R5 and R6 also work fine.

As a side note – another weird issue I am experiencing, is that when I have Rhino 7 open, the Windows task bar indicates (by the light blue line) that the file open is a Rhino 6, when this is not the case! Underlined in green below.

Cheers

James

Hi @james2,

With a quick test here, I am not seeing any significant delay opening Rhino files in this manner.

Are these files on a network or a remote drive?

Also, can you run Rhino’s SystemInfo command and post the results?

Thanks,

– Dale

Hi Dale,

The files are on a shared server which we connect to via Ethernet.

I have just done a test with a file on my desktop, and the delay still occurs.

SystemInfo command results below

Cheers

James

Rhino 7 SR10 2021-8-24 (Rhino 7, 7.10.21236.11001, Git hash:master @ c1c1a0be2c74a937d5bb85aafdab68e56ed1ab43)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-08-24
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP (Hosting Remote Desktop session)

Standard graphics configuration.
  Primary display: Microsoft Remote Display Adapter (Microsoft) Memory: 0MB, Driver date: 6-21-2006 (M-D-Y).
    > Remote Desktop display device with 16 connection(s)
      - Windows Main Display using connection #0
      - Secondary monitor using connection #1
  Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K600 (NVidia) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 4-8-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 462.31
    > Accelerated graphics device with 0 adapter port(s)
      - There are no monitors attached to this device!

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
  Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU's maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-8-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6231
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp "SolidTools"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp "Commands" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp "Renderer Development Kit"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp "RPC"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp "AnimationTools"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp "Rhino Render" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp "Legacy Rhino Render"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp "RDK_EtoUI" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp "Renderer Development Kit UI"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp "Snapshots"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp "IronPython" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp "RhinoCycles" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp "Grasshopper" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp "Toolbars" 7.10.21236.11001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp "3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp "Displacement"

Hi James -

I’m not sure how this plays into all of this but Remote Desktop is on the list of not-supported systems.
-wim

Hi Wim,

Sorry for slow reply, I have been on leave.

Not sure if Remote Desktop is a problem as we have no issues Rhino 5 or 6, which also list RD as not-supported.

Cheers

James

Hi James -

I’m afraid that doesn’t really matter. There a lots of differences in the Rhino 7 version and “not supported” only means that it might or might not work - not that it definitely doesn’t work.
Is there any way you can test the same thing without a remote desktop?
-wim

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the reply.

Whilst we are all currently working remotely with many using Remote Desktop (although some have their workstations set up at home), we’ve had the same issue in the office not connecting remotely. Unless is your proposal to remove the RD installation?

Cheers

James