Rhino6 won't work after update to Mac OS Catalina

For those of you experiencing this crash:

RH-55141 Crash after New Document creation on macOS Catalina

there is a fix in the latest Service Release Candidate for 6.19.

Please let us know if you are experiencing the same crash after updating to that Release Candidate (once you update, your version number should say: 6.19.19283.04382 or later).

Of course, if you are experiencing different crashes on macOS Catalina, let us know - but preferably in a new topic.

Thanks again to all who helped track this down!

Sure. There were two problems, really…

First, on some select Macs, for users who had not yet validated their license, the validation dialog was using a system font that should have been recognized by macOS Catalina, but wasn’t.

Second, on some Macs (we only had one!), there was an event that got triggered when changing or determining the window size that caused a crash. (This was actually happening in some rare cases before macOS Catalina, but - for some reason - it was more common on 10.15).

In both cases, an elegant work-around does not seem evident. Moot point now though :crossed_fingers:

The new update (6.19.19283.04382) resolved the issue on our end. Thank you!

1 Like

Service Release Candidate 6.19 worked on my machine! Thank you Dan and team

1 Like

Dan - I deleted my preferences in Terminal as a potential solution described above in this discussion. How do I reload that backup file ( on my desktop ) in terminal? com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist
Thanks

Instructions for backing up, resetting, and restoring Rhino for Mac preferences here:
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/mac/resetprefs

-Kevin

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Thank you, it is now fixed for me!

1 Like

Err… does all this mean my commercial licence for rhino5 for mac (5F93) is never going to run if I update to OS10.15?

Working for me now as well. Thanks!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Crash when clicking Layout button

We do not currently know of any issues with Rhino 5 for Mac (5F93) on macOS Catalina. That does not mean there aren’t any problems. We would like to know if there are. As always, run a TimeMachine backup before you move forward to macOS Catalina (or any major update).

Same issue. iMac late 2015. 2.8 GHz with 8Mb RAM and Intel Iris graphics. Trying the 6.19 update now

Awesome - appears to have solved the problem. Thank You

So is it safe to upgrade to catalina?
r.

Worked fine for a day. Just crashed again

I have a problem too. Rhino almost always falls. The problem is not in Catalina. It did before. When will we get rectified? In my case, you can’t do that. I’m already thinking about switching to other software.

Macbook Pro 15 - 2018
i7 2.2 ghz
16gb RAM
Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB

Mine has always been stable and loving the software. Crashing now just intermittent. Should be fixed soon

1 Like

Had same issues as many other users after updating to Mac OS Catalina. Crash upon opening file every time. Updating to Service Release Candidate 6.19 appears to have solved the problem for me. Using Mid 2012 MacBook Pro for reference. Now working great again on pretty old hardware.

Just want to report that the issue is still happening to my Mac.
iMac Late 2015 model
Catalina 10.15.3
Rhino 6.23, Rhino 7 WIP both crashes after the splash screen, and sometimes crashes immediately (application not responding)

Thanks.