Rhino6 OpenGL and GDI Generic Display issues with movement

Hello All,
I’m having issues with Rhino 6 on basically anything other than wireframe display. mainly any time I move the display view at all stuff disappears from the display viewpoint. I also run Rhino 5 on the same machine and don’t have these issues with it. Below will be some side by sides of the two.

Rhino 6 system info

Rhino 6 SR1 2018-2-6 (Rhino 6, 6.1.18037.13441, Git hash:master @ 5a33e6871b94d32ba552468218cef0ad8d3d1263)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 10Gb)

GDI Generic (OpenGL ver:1.1.0)

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Microsoft Corporation
  Render version: 0.0
  Shading Language: Not supported
  Driver Date: 1-15-2018
  Driver Version: 5.2.6.0
  Maximum Texture size: 1024 x 1024
  Z-Buffer depth: 32 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
  Total Video Memory: n/a

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp  "Commands"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp        "WebBrowser"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp       "Renderer Development Kit"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp       "RhinoScript"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp     "IdleProcessor"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp       "Rhino Render"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp "RDK_EtoUI"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp    "Renderer Development Kit UI"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp    "Snapshots"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp   "Alerter"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp       "RhinoCycles"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp "Toolbars"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp  "3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp      "Displacement"
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp      "Calc"

Looking between the two, Rhino 6 is missing all the implementation settings. I don’t think this is the issue as all the options seem to be set the same per the sys info; where did those go?
Also why is my Total video memory being reported by Rhino6 at 0MB where Rhino5 actually reports it?
My video drivers are updated as far as windows knows about them.

With this, I’m having display issues that is making Rhino6 hard if not impossible in a lot of cases to use.

First, wire-frame looks correct.

Shaded only shows wireframe, even without moving. In other times, before I was taking pictures, the part only was pure white without any shading or wireframe.

Render seems to only have a white background tho idk if that’s an issue with settings

Moving the object does seem to update the display correctly. (notice I’m doing it all by command and not moving anything)

After I move it at all, with the mouse, or with the scroll wheel, the shading goes away and doesn’t come back till I change to a different display mode (without moving the viewpoint)

Ghosting seems to be rendering, when it actually does, from the other side of the part

X-Ray seems to be the correct way.

All in all any of those displays show only wireframe after you move the model even a pixel.

What can I or someone else do on this?

Thanks,
~Benjamin

What display adapter does your computer have?
I ask because that driver does not meet Rhino V5 or V6’s minimum OpenGL requirements.

Really? I’ve never had issues with Rhino5 in this system setup.

The base hardware is Intel Corporation Iris Graphics 6100 (rev 09), integrated graphics, but it’s a Virtual Box VM. It reports that it has 2D / 3D Acceleration, and 256MB memory. Internally on the OS (Win 10) it reports as “VirtualBox Graphics Adapter for Windows 8+” Version 5.2.6.0 Dated 1/15/2018.

Virtualbox isn’t a supported system.

For proper functioning of the displays across the board OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required. OpenGL 4.4 or newer is probably even preferred. Virtualbox does not have an implementation that is good enough.

We did put a lot of effort into running Rhino on VMWare Fusion 10 since it does report having OpenGL 3.3 hardware acceleration support. It will not work as well as a native setup, but that may be your best option for running in a virtualized environment.

2 Likes

I have just run across this exact issue with my VM VirtualBox. I had no idea that the new Rhino 6 would not work with VirtualBox. As my current setup is a requirement for my work, it looks like I will not be able to upgrade to Rhino 6 in the near future.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please post it here. I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Virtualbox has not a good enough OpenGL implementation, stuck somwhere at 2.1 or thereabouts I believe. The situation won’t improve until Virtualbox supports recent enough OpenGL.