[Rhino6] Auto save file - how to set this? And it should NOT be a shared setting!

@dale @stevebaer

Setting the autosave filename

When I try to set the auto save file name programmatically using RhinoCommon’s Rhino.ApplicationsSettings.FileSettings.AutoSaveFile, the value chosen does not appear in the autosave file dialog box in the settings.
When using the “old” way, using Rhino_DotNET, setting RMA.RhinoApp.Settings.FileSettings.AutosaveFile does result in the desired outcome: a new auto-save file name.

Shared setting ?!

Another observation w.r.t. the auto-save filename: if my plug-in (using the old Rhino_DotNET approach) sets the autosave file name, a second instance of Rhino will also use that autosave filename. UNLESS the first instance has the options dialog open on the Files page, then the second instance will get another autosave filename. This seems a bit fishy…
But the main point I’m trying to make here is that having a shared setting for autosave filename is rather dubious: let’s say instance 1 crashes, but instance 2 was the last to save to the shared autosave file: work from instance 1 is totally lost :frowning:

I very much would like each instance of Rhino to be able to have its own, private autosave file. Then each instance can crash and work can be recovered.

Hi @menno,

There was an issue with FileSettings.AutoSaveFile that was fixed in SR10.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-48721

@JohnM, can you comment on the Shared Settings question/comment?

– Dale

1 Like

System settings are now automatically written to the appropriate settings XML files and updated by any currently running Rhino sessions in near real time. Changing a Rhino system setting in session “A” will result in the setting being changed in session “B”. That being said, Rhino decorates the AutoSave file name using a ID unique to a currently running session to avoid autosave naming collisions so this should not be a problem.

1 Like

Ok that is good to know, thank you for confirming this.

See below

That being said, Rhino decorates the AutoSave file name using a ID unique to a currently running session to avoid autosave naming collisions so this should not be a problem.

@JohnM @dale

I don’t see that behavior here. I have two open Rhino-6 instances, who both save to the settings default `C:\Users\mdeij\AppData\Local\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\AutoSave\RhinoAutosave.3dm

I have changed the interval to 2 minutes so I don’t have to wait 20, and I see that both instances save to the same file. No unique ID decoration…

Unless this is a very recent change that will be rolled out in SR10, it is not working as expected.

I ran tests on both V5 and V6 to verify, you are correct in that both V5 and V6 will write the same Autosave file if you have multiple Rhino sessions open and they have unnamed models open. If you open existing files or have saved your file at least once then the file name is used as a prefix to the Autosave file. You can run the Autosave command to simulate a Autosave without having to wait for several minutes.