Rhino5 on Mac 10.14.6 cannot see lines or other objects that are created

I’m using Rhino5 on Mac 10.14.6 cannot see lines or other objects that are created. It seems they have been created, because I can undo, but I cannot see or find the objects.

I can create 3d objects in the same space and they are visible.

I’ve zoomed Extents>>All, then performed a Cmd-A to select all object and the objects don’t seem to exist

Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks

Kailey

It’s possible to be using a display mode that hides objects.
If you start a new file, leave it in the default Wireframe display mode, if your draw some curves and surfaces, do they display?

Yes, they display in a new drawing. The drawing that is not showing objects has been in use for some time; I was making edits and did not consciously change the display mode.

I’ve been using ghosted and shaded view modes; if I shift to wireframe, the objects appear. Then, if I switch back, to ghosted view, all objects now appear, including new objects.

What would explain this ?

Thanks

Kailey

My wild guess is a problem with the viewports in the file, with the Rhino Preferences file, or with the display drivers.

Changing the display modes are not easy.
We don’t let you change the default ones. You can make a copy and change the copy. Based on your description, that doesn’t sound at all likely.

My best recommendation is to stick with the technique you discovered on your own; that is if you see this again, switch to Wireframe and switch back.

If the problem gets worse and is specific that that file, you could make a new file with the same setup, and import your original file into it.
If the problem gets worse and is NOT SPECIFIC to that file, then we can get you the instructions to reset your Rhino Preferences PLIST.

Cheers

HI John,

I’m also have this exact problem. I’ve been doing some reading and in the past it says that certain graphics cards may play a factor as well? Could I try those instructions for the PLIST? I would love to work in the Shaded or Ghosted view as long as possible. @pmonahan Did you figure it out by any chance? (I’m on Rhino 6 btw)

There are known problems with Intel 6000 series graphics cards.
Apple seems to be not supporting them very well any more.
If you Have one, that’s a pretty old Mac.

Thanks John for your ultra fast response.

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro. Radeon Pro 555 2 GB / 16GB RAM.

I’m just wondering if its truly the graphics card - perhaps I should get an external? I guess I’ll just have to resort to the wireframe for now. The problem tends to happen as I get to the end of a model. Suggestions are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

My best recommendation is to update to Catalina 10.15.5

I don’t know for sure that will fix it, but it has the best chance and it’s easy to do.