Rhino 7 Subdivision Surface Project

That looks indeed promising.

In my opinion people are using Rhino because they want/need to work on complex and organic shapes. That’s why polygon modeling (Sub-D or however they want to call it) needs to be implemented.

With this process it is possible to work on large organic shapes intuitively without going to the pain of scripting or importing from other software.

Ah yes, I remember seeing that.
I’d say indeed just throw it in the WIP and start building from there.
It gives something to relate to and give feedback on.

-Willem

True. I just am afraid it is a bit rough, but maybe I should get over “plankenkoorts” (stage fright) :slight_smile:

Nathan, All,

keep in mind that for most users:

• a render engine that has not great defaults and a material library it doesn’t exist. It’s just a developer’s illusion.

• a new toolset that has no toolbars and a simple help file/URL/Video linked to it showing (not typing) what each tool does it doesn’t exist. It’s just a developer’s illusion.

If you continue to make new tools so inaccessible you will continue to attract only the most motivated, least representative type of users of your potential user base. You are just creating a nerdom-vicious-cycle. It’s a comfortable and easy echo chamber, but it’s not effective to make you succeed IMO.

New new rule: forget ISO & Six sigma. Just ship a god damn toolbar and a YouTube video link. No matter how rough it is nothing is rougher than a command-line-only anything. That’s just brutal man, brutal. :joy:

6 Likes

Reminder: 4 taps away = U$ 9B

We still have no proper toolbars for the old mesh tools. Some have all the same, the exact same! toolbar.

Gewoon doen!

Just Do It

Absolutely! Great observation. It’s not particularly obvious that anyone at McNeel has ever considered this.

2 Likes

What I would really care about is:

extrude mesh faces, mesh edges, bridge mesh objects, smooth I smooth preview.

Mesh/subD tools need to be super powerful and easy to learn.

Yes. A big +1 to Willems and Gustos comments from me.
To say that the new command names for the Mesh Utils are not discoverable is putting it politely. I’ve actually had to print them out and stick the list up next to my monitor.

Your existing toolbar is just fine Nathan “coder art” icons and all.

Steve

1 Like

RH-31322 is fixed in the latest Service Release Candidate

1 Like

Im talking about this market share:

More and more little tooling shops/machine shops, model makers, semi professionals use Fusion 360. But maybe those numbers are wrong. If Fusion 360 has “demonstrably” no market share as you say, then please share your insight! Can you present any numbers to back that up?

Thanks for the reply!

Will Rhino SubDs support creases?

You are right, CNC and hobbyists are two very different markets that happen to align together in finding Fusion useful. I was thinking only in term of industries that need complex modeling: product design, footwear, automotive, architecture and engineering. Those are the markets I see and where Fusion pretty much is non-existent.

I think they could make a lot of gains in these other markets too but only if their modeling tools and handling of large files massively improves. I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Probably they see faster/easier growth by continuing focusing on the two verticals they do today.

have a high degree of expectation for Sub-D.

Yes, Rhino SubD supports creases.
The model is a Rhino SubD Lotus Europa from a skilled SubD user testing Rhino 7 and demonstrates a nice use of creases.

The images below are screen captures from Shaded, Zebra, and ShowEdges views. The magenta edges in the ShowEdges view are creases. All other areas are smooth.

16 Likes

Wow, now that seems to be getting somewhere, I need to download WIP 7 and have a look.

There are some known bugs with display and ToNURBS when creases and darts a present. I’m working on those now and hope to deliver them in this coming Tuesday’s Rhino WIP release.

2 Likes

Will there be surface Pinching issues on the intersections points of unwelded edges as does in tsplines?

19 posts were split to a new topic: SubD Symmetry?

Rhino SubD is a Catmull-Clark SubD and does not have T-joints. If you see aesthetic flaws in Rhino SubD surfaces, please post a sample .3dm file, an image showing what region is not acceptable, and a description of what you want to see in that region. We will add your case to our bug tracking system and study it.

Again, the current build is an early work in progress and has bugs. We are fixing them as quickly as we can.

Thank you for helping us.