Rhino WIP: New V6 Display Engine

Hi Jeff,

I get these viewports when I startup the WIP.

Only After I manipulate the views they get redrawn as excpected.

It’s not always, but it’s the third time todat I saw it.

HTH
-Willem

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-3-7 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17066.12281, Git hash:master @ b842a1e51de25a1cdb204904f25c33508cf72e07)

Windows 8.1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

AMD Radeon™ HD8970M (OpenGL ver:4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.9001.1001)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.3
Shading Language: 4.30
Driver Date: 3-23-2016
Driver Version: 10.18.14.4414
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement” n/a

Yep, we’re seeing that too with the AMD cards and are tracking it down. Jeff and I were chatting on slack last night and it sounded like he was close to figuring out what was happening.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38220

1 Like

I am seeing identical shaded results with a 25% speedup for my 3D cavity generator application. No issues so far.

Take a mesh, convert to subD, move the mesh a little to the side then cycle through the different draw types: Wireframe, shaded, rendered, etc.

The mesh is visible in all the non arty draw modes but can’t be seen in the arty modes.

The converse is true for the subD.

By arty I mean: technical, artistic, pen.

I assume that you know about this and are working on it so I’m only mentioning this just in case…

I notice oddities when I first open the WIP that weren’t there before:

Notice the “split” viewport.

Nvidia K5000.

Thanks,

Dan

I wonder if I’m seeing the same thing:

Only on startup, as soon as the viewports redraw once everything is hunky dory again.

Are you seeing this in the latest internal build?

Steve, this is my fault…I’m working on a fix now.

I’m still seeing it on 6.0.17069.21521, 10/03/2017

Never mind…I thought this was referring to a problem I introduced yesterday, where certain Quadro cards are showing strange behavior (which I’m working on now)… David’s problem looks and sounds like Dale’s “dorked” viewport YT item

Hi
The command Analyse/Distance - Lenght - Angle doesn’t give any numerical value on last WIP ; instead gives “CRhCommandPropertiesEventWatcher::OnEndCommand::InCommand(1814888)”

I notice that there are serious display issues with point clouds:

Non-colored point clouds:

• The display options “Square with white center” or “Round with white center” are drawn without a white center.
  • “solid circle” is not drawn at all

Colored point clouds:

• “Round with white center” draws a transparent center.
  • “Solid square” draws a transparent circle (only visible as holes on other geometry behind the point cloud).
  • Other modes do not draw a colored point cloud at all.

When drawing solid squares or circles for point cloud control points, the “occlusion hint” is not always drawn. What I mean with that is the white dotted outline around circles drawn when they overlap. (see below for some examples).

This is in the 14-MAR version by the way.

1 Like

Display hardly working at all.
If I open a model file when launching Rhino, all 4 viewports are black and nothing will display.
If I launch Rhino with just the default template, only the perspective view works. I can then draw a line in that view and when it redraws, the Top view also works intermittently. If I then try to maximize one of the views, the display freezes and sometimes crashes Rhino.

Work In Progress (6.0.17073.13071, 3/14/2017)

What display adapter are you using and what is the date of your driver?
Windows Device Manager > Display Adapter > Properties will have the information.

John:

The display adapter wasn’t working right. I replaced it and everything is fine now.

Thank You.

Hi @jeff, @stevebaer,

i’ve recorded some redraw issues i got since the last 3 builts using most recent drivers. Sometimes the grid is not drawn properly, either when using the menu, when changing the viewport size by dragging the vp borders or after using various commands.

RedrawViewports.zip (8.0 MB)

c.

I’ll say this here because I suspect it’s a display adapter issue - every time I try to change the color of a layer’s material, rhino crashes. I’m using an AMD W7100 :confused:

I don’t think this is a GPU or driver problem… What’s your current “Renderer” set to? Can you grab the dump (.dmp) file on your desktop and post it here (do this before closing Rhino’s Crash Report dialog, it deletes it.

Something in the Material Editor is crashing (I think), which could be the display code, the Render code, or all kinds of things in the Render Development Kit…I cannot reproduce the problem here, but that’s usually the case :).

What happens if you don’t click the layer material, but just assign a material to an object using the Properties Tab?

Hi @clement,

Are you setup to get daily builds? Or by “last 3 builds” do you mean the last three WIPs within the last three weeks?

I ask, because a similar display glitch was introduced last week, which I just fixed before today’s WIP goes out… So please try that one and see what happens. I do know of a similar problem with Radeon/FirePro cards on start up of Rhino…but it’s only on start up, and does not occur when resizing viewports…I have not yet fixed that one, and it could be related…but if you weren’t seeing this before, then I doubt it’s the same thing, and is most likely the issue introduced last week.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi @jeff, yes. Thanks i’ll check how it goes with the next one.

c.