Rhino WIP: New V6 Display Engine

(Steve Baer) #10

Please remember that this WIP is more about making sure things look correct after a large change in technology and are not about performance improvements.

Jeff pointed out that we will be making performance improvements once we know things are displaying the correct way on user’s computers.

Yes :wink: The Rendered display shadows are btw. no comparison to V5, it really is smooth and seems to tax my GPU a lot judging from the fan which spins up immediately once entered.

Looking forward to performance improvements and appreciate that i finally can use flatshade.

c.

Since I don’t see a real progress in the performance test results I will wait for the official display testing start. :wink:

It’s nice if the mesh results are better than before, but my biggest problem is the shaded NURBS display. I hope that I don’t need to convert my scenes to meshes anymore in the future. I would like to stay at my NURBS data - RAM is cheap and work time is valuable.
If I remember me right I have seen a stronger GPU usage too, but no better display times.

For me the performance of two basic modes are interesting - shaded mode for scene manipulation and rendered mode for material/texture setup. Both in conjunction with blocks.

I’m very curious for basic performance improvements, since special effects was never my problem (I disabled options like shadows …), but working on complex scenes is a pain. For me the basics display needs a hugh speed improvement. A few percent speed improvement wouldn’t help so much. It’s so hard to work on low frame rates like 1fps (typical at my current projects at v5).

@stevebaer,

btw. the difference in above performance test may also come from the fact that in V5 i do not have AA enabled while in V6 this is required to get smooth looking curves. In V5 i get this without AA:

While it looks like this in V6:

With AA (x8) in V5:

With AA (x8) in V6:

I avoid using AA in V5 and used LineSmoothing instead which looks like this:

How to try this in V6 ? It looks like _TestToggleLineSmoothing is an unknown command…

c.

I’ve been talking about this on another thread, but I wanted to include it here so the right eyes see it :

(Steve Baer) #15

A post was split to a new topic: Picture not showing up in Vector Output

(Steve Baer) #16

Very valid point; we’re focused on making sure the display actually draws things in the right place with the right colors on everyone’s computers at the moment. Hopefully we can get past this stage quick and start focusing on performance.

@stevebaer, something broken here with rendered display mode once i turned off skylight, i can see the shadows through the object and the horizon where the groundplane ends.

I’ve turnded on edges to make it clear that thats a cube below, every other settings are at defaults.

version is: 6.0.17068.11361

c.

(Steve Baer) #18

@jeff has been seeing that too lately, so we should be able to get it fixed. If you resize your viewport a little, does the effect go away?

Yes, funny :wink:

c.

Hi @stevebaer, one minor difference between decals, in V5 a decal has been applied with the direction “forward”, the decal appears on the first outer surface only:

In the current WIP (6.0.17068.11361) i can see the decal appear on the inside too using the cylinder example:

c.

(David Eränen) #21

Thanks clement,

I made a YT item: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38372

-David

btw, apart from that, super awesome :wink:

c.

(Willem Derks) #23

Hi Jeff,

I get these viewports when I startup the WIP.

Only After I manipulate the views they get redrawn as excpected.

It’s not always, but it’s the third time todat I saw it.

HTH
-Willem

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-3-7 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17066.12281, Git hash:master @ b842a1e51de25a1cdb204904f25c33508cf72e07)

Windows 8.1 (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

AMD Radeon™ HD8970M (OpenGL ver:4.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.9001.1001)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.3
Shading Language: 4.30
Driver Date: 3-23-2016
Driver Version: 10.18.14.4414
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement” n/a

(Steve Baer) #24

Yep, we’re seeing that too with the AMD cards and are tracking it down. Jeff and I were chatting on slack last night and it sounded like he was close to figuring out what was happening.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-38220

I am seeing identical shaded results with a 25% speedup for my 3D cavity generator application. No issues so far.

Take a mesh, convert to subD, move the mesh a little to the side then cycle through the different draw types: Wireframe, shaded, rendered, etc.

The mesh is visible in all the non arty draw modes but can’t be seen in the arty modes.

The converse is true for the subD.

By arty I mean: technical, artistic, pen.

I assume that you know about this and are working on it so I’m only mentioning this just in case…

I notice oddities when I first open the WIP that weren’t there before:

Notice the “split” viewport.

Nvidia K5000.

Thanks,

Dan

(David Rutten) #28

I wonder if I’m seeing the same thing:

Only on startup, as soon as the viewports redraw once everything is hunky dory again.

(Steve Baer) #29

Are you seeing this in the latest internal build?