Rhino V7 (WIN) vs. V5, why does my line anti-alising look trash?

Help me out here. I feel like I’m in AutoCAD 12 back in college!

I downloaded the trial for Rhino V7 and got it all installed, but I’m having trouble getting the GPU and Rhino settings to play nice and make the basic lines and curves look nice and smooth. I remember having this issue with V5 back when I updated some drivers but for the life of me I can’t figure out how I fixed it.

Rhino 5 still looks great. No jaggies in the non-90 deg lines or arcs, so my GPU is working right with the older version. I can have both versions open right next to each other and see the difference. It’s dramatic! :flushed: The 8x anti-aliasing in V7 looks the same as the 2x in V5, the 4x in V5 looks better. Something’s not right here.

I’ve got a Nvidia Quadro PNY K620 GPU. Drivers are updated.

Weird thing is, V7 is capable of anti-aliasing the lines if you go into the “Arctic View” mode, however it is slow A.F. and herky-jerky. No bueno.

Going from 2x to 4x to 8x makes barely noticeable improvements in V7, and the GPU tessellation box does nothing so far as I can tell.

Is there some setting on the GPU side I’m overlooking? There’s profiles for rhino (rhino.exe) and rhino (rhino4.exe), the latter which I assume is V5 but still called 4 as it was upgraded from 4. ¯\(°_o)/¯ Plus ones called: Robert McNeil & Associates (Rhinoceros NURBS Modeler), Robert McNeil & Associates (opengltest.exe), and Robert McNeil & Associates (rhino5x64_d.exe)… maybe that last one is the V5 settings.

Help me out, Obi Wan. You’re my only hope. :laughing:

Hi Variant -
For what’s worth, we are aware that the AA in Rhino 5 looked better than what we achieved when we changed the way to draw curves in Rhino 6. Many things were tried but we are where we are.

But just to make sure that we are on the same page. This is a screenshot on my system with the Wireframe default 1-pix curve to the left and a modified 5-pix curve to the right:

Are you seeing about the same on your system?
Also, for good measure, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

@jeff: Where does a Quadro K620 fit in the spectrum of capability for Rhino 7? My initial thought is that it is kind of weak.

Did you make sure the Nvidia driver is updated to the most recent when you tried out V7? V5 would, of course, work just as it always has with the driver you’ve been using, but V7 appears to need a very late 2020 or Jan 2021 driver no matter which Quadro card you’re using.

Well, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words… So I’ll just post this… The top card is a K5200 compared to the bottom card, which is a K620… But, Rhino should nevertheless “work”…but it’s not going to be performing well on large models or scenes with lots of textures and large meshes.

-J

Note the circled area. The difference is notably worse on the screen. The image compression is adding some back in here.

For what’s worth, we are aware that the AA in Rhino 5 looked better than what we achieved when we changed the way to draw curves in Rhino 6. Many things were tried but we are where we are.

Ah, I see. I thought it was a settings thing. Been kinda running around in circles trying to clear it up. :upside_down_face:

Did you make sure the Nvidia driver is updated to the most recent when you tried out V7? V5 would, of course, work just as it always has with the driver you’ve been using, but V7 appears to need a very late 2020 or Jan 2021 driver no matter which Quadro card you’re using.

Driver date is 12/31/2020… so really recent.

Well, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words… So I’ll just post this… The top card is a K5200 compared to the bottom card, which is a K620… But, Rhino should nevertheless “work”…but it’s not going to be performing well on large models or scenes with lots of textures and large meshes.

Feel free to send me a better card. I’ll PM you my address. :laughing:

So is the consensus here that nothing can be done about it as Rhino 6 and onward has notably worse display anti-aliasing… or is there something else that can be done to improve it?

Hi Variant,
@variant1
Not just me then, first thing I noticed in V7 was lines looking like twisted ribbons.
The sleek pro look of such in V5 is lost.
I wondered if there was anti aliasing settings I overlooked.
Its a cruder appearance, and I just spent £3k on a dedicated Rhino and video editing PC Nvidia 3070 and 64DDR4 ram, and other top notch stuff. and before I was GTX970 and things looked GOOD.

so we are stuck with it I guess,

oh dear

Also colours are paler,

So card not the problem.

Steve

Unfortunately you are stuck with this for V7. We had to switch from very old OpenGL to modern OpenGL in order to support many other things. The one advantage of very old OpenGL was that the GPU vendors had some very good thin line drawing routines. This is not available in modern OpenGL. I do feel we made some improvements in this area in V8 though.

1 Like