Rhino V6 Freeze Win 10 1803 nVidia 1070

Hi there,
Since the latest Windows update, 1803, my Rhino has been randomly freezing the system (sometimes when returning to it from a different desktop). This has been happening a few times a day, though not every day. Updated to the latest nVidia drivers but still freezing. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Ben

Hi Ben - can you run SystemInfo in Rhino ans paste the results here?

-Pascal

I suspect you also have an Intel GPU embedded in your processor, and it needs a driver update.

In addition to the SystemInfo asked for by Pascal, please run the Windows Device Manager, expand Display adapters, right-click on the Intel chip, properties, Driver tab.
Take a screenshot of that too please.

Sorry if my question does not seem to be relevant:
Are you using the Logitech SetPoint Sofware for the mouse and keyboard ?
Because I had also a lot of PC freeze starting from some win 1803 update. No freeze since the day I’ve uninstall SetPoint.

Hi Pascal,

Here you go. Thanks for getting right back to me!

Rhino 6 SR9 2018-9-28 (Rhino 6, 6.9.18271.20591, Git hash:master @ 4cf7435f08f51c972347c8558d28355cfc0471ca)
Licence type: Educational, build 2018-09-28
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Mr Benjamin Pearce ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: BIGBLACKIE2

GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 399.24)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-5-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9924
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.9.18271.20591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi John, I didn’t see any other display adapters. Thanks.
Capture000

Hi piem, I only have Logitech Gaming software so I can use the programmable buttons on the mouse, though it has been not been working that great since the update. I was thinking it was the mouse… may try another route. Thanks for your feedback! -B

Then I guessed wrong about the Intel GPU.
Your nVidia driver seems recent enough too.
I also don’t see any suspect plug-ins.

Hmmmmm…

Hi Ben - your video driver is not old but it is older than the Windows update - I would at least try getting a newer driver if that is available from the NVidia website. If not it might even be worth reinstalling the one you have.

-Pascal

Thanks all,
I have updated everything possible (including the Logitech drivers), though the GPU doesn’t yet have an updated that is more recent that the OS update, and will chime back in if things continue to go awry. Thanks again!
-B

Hi folks,

This is happening again; the out of the blue system wide freeze. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but it seems to happen when changing desktops (I use multiple desktops ala Mac) back to Rhino or changing windows to bring Rhino back to the front. Any suggestions?
Many thanks, Ben

This continues to happen. Is anyone else suffering this fate? Is this a known bug Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben

Hello Benjamin
No you are not alone in this. If you google something like ‘Windows 10 freezes’ you will probably get lots of topics on it. My computer (and me) has suffered with this for as long as I have had it (about 9 years!). However in my case it’s across the board, no matter what software I’m running: in the middle of a command, switching programs or doing nothing. The freeze always seems to last about two and a half minutes and the computer has no knowledge that it has happened.

Hi Tone,
Thanks for the reply. I’ve searched far and wide and applied a dozen supposed fixes to the problem, yet it perseveres, and only happens in Rhino6. I’ll keep working around the edges and following up on this thread and others until whatever it is gets patched, etc. Thanks, B