RHINO V5 Questions ~ Window Panels

A1: boxedit should let you define the xyz position of your object

A2: either you want it with a specific thickness or closed completely, either way its not easy to distinguish how to help without the file since one can not see what you have inside the head, if its just a surface it might be easier. is it mesh or NURBS?

Thank youā€¦mesh

if the surface we see has no thickness you can try FillMeshHole
if you want the whole head to be solid closed.

OK, As you can see, BOXEDIT worked PERFECTLY. However the FRONT VIEW is in the RIGHT BOX. Images have totally disappeared from the FRONT and PERSPECTIVE boxes.

Two more questions:

1. How do I regenerate an image that has disappeared from a panel?
  2. How do I MOVE the horse head front view that is currently in the right box, into the FRONT BOX, which is the correct box for it? I will then need to generate a RIGHT view for the RIGHT box, or ROTATE the view that is already thereā€¦
    I am writing all of your help answers down in my bookā€¦

Some basic concepts for how Rhino works, which may be fundamentally different than your assumptions.

Objects in Rhino are defined in a 3D space. They can relocated in that 3D space using Move, Rotate and other commands.

What you are calling ā€œpanelsā€ are usually referred to as ā€œviewportsā€ in Rhino. Think of each viewport as a the view from a separate camera, and the cameras can be relocated. The camera for the Top viewport looks down from the top parallel to the global Z axis. It can be moved to change the view. The camera for the Front viewport looks from the front parallel to the global Y axis, and the camera for the Right viewport looks from the side parallel to the global X axis.

If an object is not visible in a viewport then you need to move the camera in the viewport. Usually you can do this by holding down the right mouse button and moving the mouse with the cursor in the desired viewport. You can also zoom in and out with the mouse scroll wheel or by holding the Ctrl key while also holding down the right mouse button and moving the cursor up and down on the screen. To pan and zoom out so all current objects are visible use the Zoom command with the Extents option or Ctrl-Alt-E.

To change the orientation of an object so that it faces towards the Front viewport rather than the Right viewport use the Rotate command to change the orientation of the object in the global coordinate system.

Spend some time going through the Rhino Userā€™s Guide http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/usersguide/en-us/index.htm The sections on Navigating Viewports and Transforms - Move, Copy, Rotate, Scale have more information about some of your recent questions.

Hi @Karl_Starke

For how it looks, I feel itā€™s not the view you want to change, but to actually rotate the horseā€™s head.
In the screenshot you have in the below area there is a button called gumball.
This button allows you to move a highlighted object in the view. You can drag and move or rotate or scale.
In your case you can use rotate while pressing down shift which would fix the rotation to 90degrees per movement.
So,

1. Turn gumball on
    2 )Highlight the horse head
    3)While pressing shift, use the rotating feature on the gumball to rotate the horse head to match the view as needed.

Hello again:

Thank you all for your assistance and suggestions.

I have another problem. I need to raise an irregular shape to a height of Ā¼ inch, without changing the outline of the shape. This is NOT a box, cone or sphere (or other geometric shape). I have a book on Rhino which is entitled ā€˜Inside Rhinoceros 5ā€™, by Ron K.C. Cheng. It appears to be geared more toward engineers. I am NOT an engineer. I am an artist.

The REVOLVE command works beautifully to generate a solid, in the form of the outline I created in Illustrator. But now I need a flat, irregular shape with thickness. How do I do thisā€¦ from a flat, irregularly-shaped 2D drawing to generate a thickness of Ā¼ā€ in the object?

I finally figured it out. I was using the wrong extrude command. Iā€™m OK for now. Thank you.