Rhino V5 FREEZE: Win 10 1709, nVidia display adapters, & V-Ray 3

Please make it work… It is impossible to have a smooth workflow in our architecture projects. Every time we run a new instance of rhino, vray viewport textures calculation is a affected.

Is this still a known issue?

I have a Dual Xeon 16 Core Dell Workstation with 64GB of ram and a Quadro M4000 card that has the initial issues described in this thread.

• Windows 10 Pro Version 1809
  • Rhino 5 SR14 (5.14.522.8390)
  • Vray 3.60.02

Had zero issues until beginning of 2018. Googled and found information regarding Win 10 fall creator issues. Reinstalled Windows in effort to revert to a state without the Fall Creators update. Not possible. Settled for a fresh install of latest everything in August of 2018.

Since then, constant freezing of entire PC when using Rhino. Everything will freeze. This has happened while using just Rhino and while rendering with Vray. Happens multiple times per day. Only way to recover is to force shut off the entire PC and start again.

Using some of the info in this thread I’ve installed the NVIDA Experience last night and updated the driver for the Quadro M4000 GPU. From what I can tell, I have the lasted Windows updates, latest drivers, latest Rhino 5, and latest Vray 3.

After using Rhino and Vray for 4-6hrs (hard to pinpoint) the whole PC froze again. Dashing my hopes that the recent Jan update for the NVIDA card would fix the issue.

Very frustrating and hoping that there might be additional info out there since the last post almost a year ago. At a loss at what a next step might be.

Hi - could you post a screen-shot of your settings on the Rhino Options > View > OpenGL page?
Also, one thing to try to narrow-down things - disable V-Ray in the plug-in manager and see if you still get the system to freeze.

Latest V-Ray for Rhino 5/6 is 3.60.03

That fixed a few issues for me…

Sorry everyone. I had to shelve this for a bit. I ended up finding the issue. It was not related to any programs but rather to a ASUS PCE-AC56 PCI Wireless Express Adapter that I was using. It was causing issues with errors and eventually it would crash Windows. More specifically related to its driver. Windows 10 Fall Creators update (1709) wrecks the driver for Broadcom BCM4360 based hardware.

I couldn’t get anything to resolve the issue other than taking out the Wifi card which instantly solved the issue.

Thanks all!