Rhino V5 FREEZE: Win 10 1709, nVidia display adapters, & V-Ray 3

Hi David - is VRay part of the mix as well in your case?

-Pascal

Yes, I have VRay loaded, wasnā€™t active at the time though.

Also froze when using Octane as loaded render.

Try to uninstall vray and octane. And give rhino another shot.
Would be nice to collect some quantitative data, regarding how many people have the same problem, without V-ray and/or Octane. (I have the problemā€¦ with a clean Rhinoā€¦ and fully upgraded drivers on my setup)

Have just been rendering with VRay for the last few hours. No issues with it.

Iā€™ve had my PC freeze when not using Rhino. There are a few cases of it on the Microsoft forum.

Disabling and reanabling Vray (without its toolbar, if that might matter), lowering the system resolution to 1920 x 1080 and setting the windows UI scaling factor to 100% seems to have solved the problem for me. But maybe itā€™s still too early to celebrateā€¦
Give it a try

Same issue here at the office.
Has Anyone found a solution?

Disabling Vray did not solve the problem for me.

I am trying to use Rhino under Windows 8 compatible mode. Everything seems fine so far this way.

Nope.

Getting regularly kicked out by Windows. Hard restart results in being redirected to BIOS page.

Have tried to reset BIOS settings. No more OC for the time beingā€¦

Doubt it will make any difference at this stage.

Well, the problem is not going away, by itself.
And as far as I can see, nothing is really happening.
(Any idea what it is, McNeel?)
Iā€™ve already the started discussion at my workplace, to jump over to alternative softwares, because the problem at hand is just messing our workflow up way too muchā€¦ (which is sad, since Iā€™d really like to keep using Rhino the way i haveā€¦)
Weā€™ve tried formatting harddrives, clean installs (OS/GPU/Rhino etc) and downgrading driversā€¦
Same random freeze, no matter whatā€¦

Have you tested the BETA to see if the problem appears with it? If it doesnā€™t your best bet is to start moving towards V6 through the BETA, as any further fixes are going to be made here.

Sadly it does. ;S

I had a continuous crash yesterday, updated gpu driver and seems working now, but almost always I need to reinstall gpu driver after bigger updates of win these days.
Using GTX1070
and GTX1050on the go

Iā€™ll put the GTX 760 back in tomorrow, but before the RX 550 I have been using the GTX1060, GTX 760 and Intel HD 630 without slowdowns :confused: I think even with the creators fall update, but Iā€™ll see what the case is tomorrow.

Not sure what else to ask to get a reproducable case

Indeed.
I donā€™t know what to addā€¦ as I canā€™t produce an error log because of the total freeze.

What i can say, is that the freeze seem to occur more often/faster on Rhino 5.

And that the viewport is out of focus the moment a specific viewport is enlarged.
(although it returns to normal when starting to move/select something in the view)

Also. the issue arose after last major win10 update.

Running Rhino in compability mode (windows 8 or lower) doesnā€™t helpā€¦

GPU driver date and version doesnā€™t pop up in Rhino 5 or 6ā€¦ + that Total video memory is offā€¦ by FAR.
(donā€™t know if it was like this before the issues started thoughā€¦)
Already tried to downgrade to older driversā€¦ doesnā€™t helpā€¦

Are you on latest BETA? 6.0.17325.16351

I updated Vray yesterday which an employe from Chaos Group told me would work.
I stressed Rhino and Vray from 15 min and it worked without crash.
You could try this.

Hello!

I am experiencing the same issue. When Iā€™m working in Rhino 5 (64-bit) it randomly freezez my whole computer, I also work with V-Ray 3.

Iā€™m working on Windows 10 Enterprise:

Processor: IntelĀ® Xeon(T) CPU E5-1630 v4 @ 3.70GHz 3.70GHz
RAM: 64,0 GB
System type: 64-bit

Graphics Card: NVidia Quadro P5000, driver version 385.90

Maybe this info can help you locate the issue :slight_smile:

You should try to update your Vray.
I have not had any issues since I did that few days ago.

Good luck Xinga

I werenā€™t (had the version before that), but now I amā€¦ And the issue is still the same ā€¦ ;S

Iā€™m slowly growing more sure that the issue is between Rhino and the graphics driver though.
As Iā€™ve mentioned earlier, the total video memory is off by far. 64mb in Rhino 5 and 128mb in Rhino 6.
(it should say 2048mbā€¦)
When moving moving around the viewport, FAST, itā€™s like i hit a bottleneck in performance, and suddenly everything goes really slow. (returning to normal when keeping the viewport still, for a few seconds)
Nothing peaks in task manager though. In Task manager everything seems fine and calm.

How this can make my laptop freeze, is beyond me thoughā€¦ i wouldā€™ve expected only Rhino alone to crash/freeze, because of such issuesā€¦

Oh, and i can also mention that the weird ā€œout of focusā€ when expanding a specific viewport, disappear when turning off ā€œaccelerated hardware modesā€.

Hi to all.
I have the same issue. It began with the latest update from Windows 10 - 1709.
Rhino just keeps on freezing my machine. I cant tell that it happens only with certain commands. It just happens randomly.
I am using a mobile workstation with Nvidia Quadro M2000M 4GB. Until now I have never had any problems with Rhino. I have latest video drivers, graphic card settings are set accordingly and I just cant find any solution. It is very frustrating and I have to constantly force my machine to restart. The problem only occurs with Rhino. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks!