Rhino UI reset after crash

ui
unhandled

Hello everyone,

Do you know if there’s a command to restore UI layout after crash, when it all resets back to default? I believe OptionsImport does something different.

Thank you all

Jonas

Ahojky,
Toolbars are stored in to Rui file, if you have a backup, load it, if not, problem
search paths here:
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/toolbarproblemsv5
and
search for RUI backup trough explorer (win7)
on keyboard WIN + R
paste this and press enter
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\UI\

Thank you eddi, that’s exactly what I need!

Jonas

Hi Jonas,
no problem :wink:
Path was missing a backslash, corrected

Hello again eddi,
Apparently the part of UI I’m interested in is not linked to the *.rui file. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Hi Jonish,
sorry, no idea…

Dear @pascal, sorry if it’s not a relevant question, but do you have any idea how to conserve the righthand panel to withstand common Grasshopper overload related crashes? (see the original image)

Thank you,
Jonas

(John Morse) #9

Rhino panel configuration information is stored in the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0x64\Scheme: Default\DockBarTabs” key located in the Windows registry for version 5.0. The key contains collections of visible panels and is written as part of the Rhino shutdown process. When Rhino starts it looks for this key, if the key is not found then the default Rhino panel configuration is displayed.

If you were to arrange the panels in the configuration you like, close Rhino then export the registry key you would have a REG file containing this configuration. You should be able to restore it by deleting the key then importing the saved key then starting Rhino.

Thank you, JohnM, I will try it!

Jonas

Dear All,

I have this problem quite often (due to crashes, and after installing new plugins) - and its happening a lot today. Could there not be an easier way to fix this than going into the registry? I’ve seen a couple of other threads, one suggested saving the .RUI (which seems to be on a toolbar-by-toolbar basis, rather than saving the screen layout, which is what would make sense to me as a user) and exporting then importing settings. That IS a workaround, but its a lot of faffing around.

PLEASE can we add this to a list of bugs to be fixed? I’m imagining it’s quite tricky, because I’ve had this problem from Rhino 4, and I cant remember back far enough to recall if I had it in Rhino 3 as well. If it’s not too tricky, any chance it could be done for the next service release of Rhino 5? Looking forward to Rhino 6 in due course, but I need to continue using Rhino 5 for production work until my plugins get updated.

Thanks,

Jonnie