Rhino Saying Font Missing/Not Installed

Each time I’m opening Rhino files I get an error about font missing/not installed. Its installed on my machine, if I go to the properties, annotation styles, font, drop down I have to scroll down and click the relevant font which is there in the list. Am I missing something here :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hey Miles -
This is a typical Mac font but you’re showing a Windows dialog.
Perhaps it’s not completely the same as on Mac?
Does the font appear in the Windows’ Control Panel → Fonts?

Can you post a 3dm file that shows this behavior?
-wim

I had no idea fonts were platform specific :man_shrugging:. Yes this on my windows machine, installed in the fonts, Rhino can see it, its in the dropdown menu in the annotations dialogue box, I just don’t want to scroll down and click it everytime. Does Rhino have its own fonts folder?

Hi Miles -

No, Rhino uses the fonts that are installed on the machine.

and

Those don’t appear to be identical fonts.
-wim

Rhino maybe reading the name wrong, I’m not sure, its the only Helvetica font I have installed on my machine :man_shrugging:

Hi - please post a 3dm file with that font.
-wim

Helvetica Lt.3dm (311.0 KB)

Hi Miles -

What is printed to the command line when you open that file?
-wim

Read 5 annotation styles that reference 2 fonts that are not installed on this device.
Annotation styles referencing a missing font:
Default / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Millimeter Architectural / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Millimeter Large / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Millimeter Small / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Labels / HelveticaNeue Light
Missing fonts:
Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
HelveticaNeue Light
Command: -_New
Name of the Rhino template file to open ( None Browse ): “C:\Users\mdexter\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Localization\en-US\Template Files\Struyk Template.3dm”
Read 5 annotation styles that reference 2 fonts that are not installed on this device.
Annotation styles referencing a missing font:
Default / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Millimeter Architectural / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Millimeter Large / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Millimeter Small / Helvetica Neue 45 Light [HelveticaNeue-Light]
Labels / HelveticaNeue Light
Missing fonts:
HelveticaNeue Light

Hi -

Yes, that’s the thing.
When I open that file, I get:

Missing fonts:
	HelveticaNeue Light
	HelveticaNeue LT 45 Light [HelveticaNeueLT-Light]

So, yes, you have this one installed:

But you are still missing the others.
-wim

I don’t have the others, never had, only Helvetica I have installed is the one shown. This font is assigned to 2 custom made templates I have in my Rhino :man_shrugging:

Yep, but those fonts came from somewhere. Did you import anything when making your custom templates?

Or copy them between Mac and Windows (Helvetica is normally found on Mac and Arial on Windows)?

Not copied no, downloaded and installed straight to Windows machine. @Helvetosaur templates made from new. For some reason each of the preset annotation styles are being affected, after going in them 1 by 1 and setting Arial and applying this seems to work. (I never use any of the preset annotation styles in Rhino)

Somehow that doesn’t make sense. If you started with the default templates, they could not be referencing a font that is not on your computer, all the default annotation styles are set to Arial with the exception of Engrave, which is set to a single line font (SLF-RHN Architect) that is installed by Rhino.

If you did not start with a template file but instead you used an existing file and saved it as a template, I suspect that missing font was already referenced in the existing file.

yep, very confusing, have created many templates over the years, both on PC & Mac, never an issue :man_shrugging:, anyway going into each preset annotation style and applying Arial seems to have solved the issue :+1:

On the subject of Helvetica Neue, this blog post Avoid this Font. Trust us. (presentation-company.com) is informative. I’d suggest the comments about it not being good in small sizes imply it wouldn’t be a good choice for annotations anyway.

A final note, I guess…
In Rhino 7 on macOS, the default templates should all use either Arial or SLF-RHN Architect.
That was changed (RH-60201 and related) for the purpose of not having this missing font issue when sharing files across platforms.
-wim

1 Like