Rhino rendered mode looks different. Is this because of settings, the computer capabilities or because I only have free trial?

I got the free trial of rhino to demonstrate to my workplace its value, however I can’t show them how great a simple rendered viewport of a rhino model is because it looks so flat an lacks any detail in this viewport at the moment.

I was just wondering if theres any settings I have to change (its currently restored to default settings), or if its like this because of the computers limitations or because I only have a free trial version of rhino.

Hello - applying materials to your objects would be the first thing to do - you can apply materials to objects or by layers. See Help for more information…

-Pascal

But the textures still dont show in any kind of decent resolution (there is a grass texture in the back and it looks awful and nothing like grass at all). I don’t understand why it doesnt look the way it always has done when i’ve used it before. (Like how it is in this image, with soft shadows and a more realistic feel, vs the very flat, plasticy looking view shown as in the image above).

What’s the hardware you’re trying to show it on? Run SystemInfo and post the result.

Hello - in the Rendering panel (Panels menu) click on ‘Reset to defaults’ at the bottom.

Does that help?

-Pascal

The view is already set to all defaults. This is the system info:

Rhino 6 SR20 2019-11-18 (Rhino 6, 6.20.19322.20361, Git hash:master @ f60ce76e397bba419469ae5277fc1578641caa3a)
License type: Evaluation, build 2019-11-18
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2020-02-06

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: MATT-PC

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (AMD) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 1-30-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 1.1.0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Microsoft Corporation
Render version: 0.0
Shading Language: Not supported
Driver Date: 1-30-2017
Driver Version: 15.201.2401.1010
Maximum Texture size: 1024 x 1024
Z-Buffer depth: 32 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Hi @justsomerandomsam,

There’s a slightly newer GPU driver available from here: https://www2.ati.com/drivers/firepro/firepro-win10-64bit-nieg-15.201.2401.1010-feb14-2017.exe

If the driver installation program gives the option to clean the settings, please do so.

-David

Thanks David, which driver is it as the AMD website wont let me download it from an outside link.

Ah I see,

Here’s a better link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/legacy-products/firepro-v-series/firepro-v3900

Choose the Windows 10 64-bit one.

Perfect, thank you! Its all working fine now.

1 Like