Rhino Render Panel awkardness

WIP 7 (7.0.20084.11445, 24/03/2020)

1] Why is the viewports settings for the rendered view (in options) allowed priority over the backdrop in the render panel?

This is very confusing – if you are going to set up your render, then surely it is logical to have all the controls that affect this in one place?

2] Changing the sun intensity (as changed via the “Sun Settings” in the lighting tag) doesn’t reveal any corresponding change in the intensity of the shadow cast.

3] The sun and what I suppose to be the default rhino light (ie the light that lights the scene when there are no user lights, and neither the sun or skylight are on) seem to be reversed in their directional operation.

So, when the rhino light is on, it creates a shadow on the groundplane and this shadow shows that the light is stationary and doesn’t move with the objects when the scene is rotated.

Conversely, when the sun is the only light source, both it and the objects are locked in a universe where they move together when the scene is rotated.

In the real world, when we rotate objects, the sun doesn’t rotate with them – ie the sun behaves as the rhino default light does.

Since the rhino light is just a construct within the model (ie can be thought of as a stage light within the scene) it makes sense to me that it might rotate with the scene. It also makes sense that it might stay stationary, like a stage light, while the objects in the scene (on the stage) rotate.

So this might be argued either way, but surely the sun shouldn’t rotate?

4] Why is there no option to remove unused materials? (Yes, I know the purge command is hidden in the tools/file utilities/purge unused information), but that’s not exactly where you might think to look when working with setting up the model to render, especially when the materials menu offers “show all materials, show only used materials and show only unused materials” .

5] The icon things that look like gearshift knobs from a 1950’s British sports car and supposedly show what the render materials are like are, in their “tiny” thumbnail setting useless, and in their “large” setting both take up far too much space, and are still not accurate except in the most basic way.

Could all this be better? – surely it could, and an example of an existing better solution might be KeyShot; I know nothing about this program beyond watching this video of Phil Cook from simplyrhino UK setting up a scene to render, and I thought, well this is a pretty good example of something not a million miles away from the rhino setup, which is pretty straightforward and logical, and that produces a great result, or certainly as much result as I would want…

cheers
rabbit

The rendered viewport is meant to be a preview of what you will get when you render something. However, like all view modes, it can be customized - and if you do that, it will no longer reflect the rendering. If you want your “Rendered” view mode to show the same as the rendering, leave it at the defaults.

This is a very new setting - it’s possible we have missed some stuff here. However, you wouldn’t expect the sun intensity to change the shadow intensity - things are either in shadow or not. You might expect objects to get brighter though.

Pretty sure you’ve got it the wrong way around. The sun doesn’t move - the default light does. The default light is always “just over your left shoulder”.

There may not be a command for it, but there is a very simple workflow. From the Material Editor, choose “Show only unused materials”, then select them all and delete them. Then set the filter back to “Show all”

This is improved in V7 - and of course there are 2 settings between “Tiny” and “Large”. I agree that this area could be better, and we’ve already done some work here to help.

This is V7

This is V6

Can you give me the installation file?

Hi - what installation file are you referring to?
-wim

Well, I think it should be the other way round, ie the render setup should override any viewport settings - Its just confusing having two settings in different places.

Well, in real life, if i stand outside in the sun and hold an object in my hand, and rotate it, the sun doesn’t rotate with it; the object rotates and shows different aspects of light and shadow from the stationary sun.
This is how the default rhino light works ie it stays still, and the rotating object reveals differing aspects of light and shade as it rotates.
However, if the scene is lit with the rhino sun, the sun rotates with the scene, which is not how things are in the real world.
You can easily see this buy using the turntable to rotate your model with the differing lighting setups.

just sayin…

It was V7 I was referring to…
Perhaps if I had another screen I could display this stuff on it wouldn’t be so bad, but on a laptop, which by its very nature is designed to move about and travel, its not an option…

anyway, hope to see this all smooth out some as V7 moves forward.

cheers
rabbit

Keep in mind that rotating your view rotates the camera and not the object, same goes for Turntable, it roates the camera around the object, not the object.

Sigh - yes, that’s it.
Just having a little dyslexic brain fade little moment there, thanks Holo

cheers
rabbit

1 Like

Well, the command is called ‘turntable’ and not ‘camerarotate’, and turntables do turn objects, so you are absolutely excused! :slightly_smiling_face:

keyshot 6
Can you give me the installation file?

Hi - Keyshot can be found here:

-wim

1 Like

thanks you! :star_struck: