Rhino python help!

python

(kartik misra) #1

Hi, I was trying one code from rhino python primer, I wrote the exact definition, but it shows an error(Message: range() integer end argument expected, got float)
srf peel.py (721 Bytes)

PFA a screenshot, and code for reference,Capture
thanks

uDomain and vDomain are intervals of two floats, so you are feeding floats to the range() function which wants integers.

range ( start , stop [, step ])

This is a versatile function to create lists containing arithmetic progressions. It is most often used in for loops. The arguments must be plain integers.

Maybe try something like this instead:

#calculate uStep and vStep as you did originally
for i in range(intCount):
    for j in range(intCount):
        pt=rs.EvaluateSurface(idSurface,[(uDomain[0]+(i*uStep),(vDomain[0]+(i*vStep)])
        #etc.

(kartik misra) #3

Hey, I tried your option/suggestion, but now it shows some other errors. I checked rhino python primer and my code is an exact copy of that code. why its showing error? it should be working, isn’t it?

Sorry, I typed that a bit too quickly without checking, there are a couple of parentheses too many…

Should read:

#calculate uStep and vStep as you did originally
for i in range(intCount):
    for j in range(intCount):
        pt=rs.EvaluateSurface(idSurface,[uDomain[0]+(i*uStep),vDomain[0]+(i*vStep)])
        #etc.

(kartik misra) #5

Hey Helvetosaur,

Sorry to say but it still has no improvements, shows the same error :frowning:

Below is some working code…

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

idSurface=rs.GetObject("Surface to frame",8,True,True)
intCount=rs.GetInteger("Number of iterations per direction",20,2)

uDomain=rs.SurfaceDomain(idSurface,0)
vDomain=rs.SurfaceDomain(idSurface,1)
uStep=(uDomain[1]-uDomain[0])/intCount
vStep=(vDomain[1]-vDomain[0])/intCount
rs.EnableRedraw(False)
for i in range(intCount+1):
    for j in range(intCount+1):
        pt=rs.EvaluateSurface(idSurface,uDomain[0]+(i*uStep),vDomain[0]+(j*vStep))
        if rs.Distance(pt,rs.BrepClosestPoint(idSurface,pt)[0])<0.1:
            srfFrame=rs.SurfaceFrame(idSurface,[i*uStep,j*vStep])
            rs.AddPlaneSurface(srfFrame,1.0,1.0)

I added the +1 in range(intCount+1) so that you go all the way to the far edges of the surface in both directions.

(Chris Hanley) #7

are you sure you typed everything correctly from the primer? as far as the range problem and floats VS integer, use rs.frange
Edit: I wonder if some functionality changed between versions…or it was a typo. That script does work… with two edits:
use rs.frange in place of range
and change
pt = rs.EvaluateSurface(idSurface, [u, v])
to
pt = rs.EvaluateSurface(idSurface, u, v)

(kartik misra) #8

thankyou, it worked!

(kartik misra) #9

I typed code correctly, later when it wasn’t working I copy pasted it. still it did not worked. I’ll check rs,frange.
thanks!