Rhino out of memory, Neon rendering often crashes computer

I’ve been using Neon for a few months now, and I’ve been pretty happy with the results. In most cases I can pump out a rendering that I’m satisfied with within a few minutes of opening the file. Occasionally I get files that need to be rendered at full screen, with a high reflection material and more than a few lights. I run my task manager and view the performance of my machine to make sure Rhino doesn’t crash, or my machine doesn’t lock up. With these render heavy files, I typically accept that my image size will be constrained by the size of my monitor, and always use the ViewCapturetoFile command, for a quick way to produce a finished rendering.

I feel fairly sure that I am using the software incorrectly, but I have slipped into this workflow over time and find it easier than working out an actual solution as my job often provides little to no time to produce a nice image.

Does anyone have advice for using Neon correctly? or is there a better freeware render engine that someone could suggest? I’m getting to the point now that many of my files are just too much to render, and I can’t reliably produce renderings when I can’t trust my computer to not crash when I use Neon.

It doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong with Neon to me. If you have a specific file that crashes, send it to tech@mcneel.com to my attention or post it here and I’ll take a look. I suppose the one thing that comes to mind is that there may be a lot of lights… but how many is a lot? If you decrease the number of lights does that prevent the crash? Also, does the Rhino crash reporter pop up and did you send in the crash file with a description?

Brian,

Thanks for the response. The file is somewhat large: ~50mb. Do you have a method by which you would like to receive it?
Also, here is an image of my cpu performance when I render in Neon:

File:

You can use www.Rhino3D.com/Upload to send the file. Make sure to say for BrianJ and mention what you’re reporting too please.

The task manager looks correct, Neon uses all but one CPU core.

Thanks Brian, uploading now.

In response to your responses:

There are a number of issue that could be causing your trouble.

1. What video card are you running? How much video memory does it have? How many and how large of monitor are you running?

I am running an NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN. The video memory of the card is listed below (not sure of the difference between Dedicated, System and Shared Memory…) And I have two displays, but I render with my largest one, which is a 30" Monoprice display that i run at 2560x1600 Resolution.

1. Many time Bad Objects can cause this trouble. Run the Analyze pulldown > Diagnostics > Select bad objects. You will see there are some bad surfaces in the model. They can be extracted with Extract Bad surface. These are surfaces that have errors.

I wasn’t aware that the model had bad surfaces, but it seems to make sense, given that the digital work was provided by a client. I believe the patchwork looking surfaces were derived from some kind of surface modeling program (possibly Powershape). But will that really affect rendering speeds that much?

1. The resolution of the viewport impacts memory. If you run a much smaller viewport what happens?

Running a smaller viewport works totally fine, however I need a large viewport to export a larger image, and subsequently a more usable image.

Also Brian:

I don’t crash rendering this file with Neon. I made sure to add back the HDRI in the environment which wasn’t embedded in the file and also maximized the viewport to 1920x1080. The one thought I do have is whether you are actually rendering a Tsplines model. It opens as a polysurface here but that may be due to me not having the Tsplines plugin. The surface structure of the model looks like it was modelled in that plugin. If I’m right, try converting to a Rhino polysrf and see if you still crash.

I am nearly 100% sure the client that developed this model is not using Tsplines, I could be wrong, but it seems the patchy surfaces are more likely coming from some kind of mesh to surface conversion software.

Thanks again for the help guys, I know there isn’t a ton of Neon discussion on this forum, so any help I can get is super appreciated.

Neon doesn’t use the GPU at all to render but interestingly, I tested your model here on a system with a Titan Black… so pretty much the same one you’re using. I only have one monitor running though. I would try this, set up the scene in a small viewport and then use “-ViewCaptureToFile” to set a custom aspect ratio. You’ll have to wait for the larger render to calculate but see if that works without crashing. My monitor here is 1920x1080 and a maximized viewport still rendered fine.

Brian,

Just tried to render using that method. Had a normally sized viewport (Viewport Layout > 4 Viewports), then as soon as I hit enter my machine crashed. No locking up or non-responsive. Just instant blue screen.

I also run another monitor, but mostly for internet/email.

Just tried again, Rhino got hung up for a bit after I submitted the command, but neon appears to be rendering now. It shows no sign of progress, and If i try to click the rhino window I get a large black box over most of my screen. I’ll wait it out and see if anything happens.

Just as I finished the last post, the render finished. I had the aspect ratio set to 2155x1232. I know if I set the ratio higher I will have more wait time, but do you think If i set it to something like 5100 x 3300 the machine would even be able to handle it? Seems like a lot to ask.

The old 11x17 @ 300dpi aspect ratio! The job should just get broken down into parts so in theory it should work fine but with a longer wait time. I’m not sure what’s up with your machine, it may just be overwhelmed by the task or have a memory issue. I’m guessing since I don’t see the same problems here. I can suggest trying to unplug that extra monitor… does that help?

Try Arion for Rhino in place of Neon,
It works better and never crashes :wink:
It is now integrated in the RhinoGOLD package which is very popular in jewelry design
http://www.randomcontrol.com/arion-for-rhinoceros