Rhino on Linux?

It’s not all black and white, yes, it’s very difficult to escape a state-level agency, but you can surely escape microsoft (which has been proven to collaborate with NSA through the PRISM program). Also you can always join the Amish (I’ve heard that they are friendly :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

They don’t use Linux, though. Nor Rhino.

2 Likes

Actually, the Amish do use Linux:

They might even use Rhino if it was available for Linux.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ooh, that’s neat. World view updated, thanks!

2 Likes

That sounds like a business opportunity to bring Rhino to a new, yet untapped market. You won’t see Amish run sinful autocad, but will you see them run Rhino on a Linux-based “PlainBook”? There is only one way to find out…

4 Likes

McNeel could choose to collaborate with the Linux distribution he prefers (Ubuntu, Mint, …) and also ensure the support of the community which over the years has demonstrated its ability to manage projects on a global scale (did someone say VLC?).

Even smaller and younger companies have become interested in Linux and I don’t see any limitations or problems in the use of Plasticity which I purchased precisely because it deserves to be rewarded for the choice made… and it runs very well on an overall old machine (10 years now with i5 3450).

I love Rhino3D and use It every days for 10h per day… but please McNeel don’t make excuses about support.

Perhaps the real problem is the ecosystem of applications that revolve around Rhino3D or the software for creatives that often work alongside one another such as the Adobe suite or even just Office which in terms of performance have no competitors in Linux (Power Point is infinitely more powerful than Impress).

1 Like

With AI infecting everything, I’m souring on Windows as the days pass.

2 Likes

Just a quick thought related to the subject : having to work again with AutoCAD and Revit for professional reasons, it strikes me how Rhino is “Linux-compatible” in its philosophy, i.e. the way you can make this tool your own. It’s really frustrating to go back to imposed mouse behavior, UI, shortcuts, etc when you have been through optimized config in Rhino (in the end it’s a design choice, and why I love Rhino so much).

2 Likes

Rhino has strong presence in academia and startup communities. It’s flexible design is widely appreciated. AFAIK Rhino would feel right at home on Linux.

6 Likes

Hey, for my day job I am solutions design engineer at a process and tool consultancy. ITSM, product, and development governance, change management, and value proposition are my focus items. I’d be happy to spend an hour with whoever at McNeel might have a hand on a steering wheel that charts towards official Linux support.

Some of the common issues I see typically revolve around scope, SLA, and cost value allocation to name a few. I’m assuming someone has already done the back of the napkin math and determined marketshare isn’t there yet to justify the move.

Linux adoption is often weird though - a company pushing a commercial product onto the (OS) platform sometimes gets an unexpected boost of support from many in the community when the message is correctly delivered.

6 Likes

That applies universally, doesn’t it? Think of bicycle commuting in cities. Surely you can point out there are not enough users (currently). Or you can dedicate some space for safe infrastructure and watch how quickly people start using it because they suddenly can and it is better in many ways. Just like in our case.

One could even see it as being part of a problem vs. being part of the solution situation… Well, not me of course :)

As reported by previous posters, it may be possible to run Rhino as-is using Wine. If so, maybe the work to support Linux could revolve around:

• Removing the guess work for users: Figure out proper Wine version, dependencies and prefix settings.

• Pack it all into stable consistent environment that is identical for each Linux user. (Something I do not think you enjoy on Windows.)

• Give care: Ensure Wine is compatible with your software framework before updating it

4 Likes

There are a few showstoppers from getting it to work for production use.

1. The UI refresh bug: black viewport or hall of mirrors.non-refresh. Solved simply enough by setting focus in the viewport, but breaking functionality.

2. Cycles doesn’t recognize GPU for renders - it’s cpu only.

The rest of the problems can be worked around with clever installer sequencing and winetricks.

Get those two things solved and I think it would be very close to legitimate on Linux.

5 Likes

I would already be super happy to have a properly working Wine setup. Right now, I’m considering dual boot elementary OS/Windows 11 just to be able to use Rhino+Grasshopper. I’ve tried long enough to make it work with Freecad and Blender+Sverchok, but it adds a lot of mental overhead, and I’d be a lot faster with Rhino.

I regularly donate to the open-source tools I use daily. I’d be more than willing to donate monthly to help maintain a Wine setup supported by McNeel, next to the purchase price/upgrade of Rhino, of course.

3 Likes

I too have been thinking about how I (we?) could contribute directly to McNeel for official support of either a direct Linux port of Rhino or a supported distro/wine setup.

I would at least put in the cost of a windows 11 license to be free of Microsoft and have the most important tool in my daily work on a free and open source OS.

As there are users who have at least proven the concept of running Rhino 7 on Wine is possible, I wonder how much effort (and therefore $$) would be required from McNeel to make this an official supported product?

From what I understand Rhino on MacOS was started as a hacked together proof of concept that evolved over time to an official supported product. Can Linux support follow the same path?

Cheers

DK

2 Likes

The WebView2 issue is my showstopper currently - either making it optional (easy) or adding support for it upstream (hard) might unlock Rhino 8 on wine. Also as wine won’t be able to keep up with all the latest features coming from windows in the future McNeel would have to test each release and prepare a separate one just for wine with these features disabled/modified (until someone would implement them).

2 Likes

Are you really ready to live and work with a [very] limited/partial version of Rhino for 10 years, while it is being ported …? We lived through this with the Mac version, and it’s not nice.
[Perhaps they can port the whole deal much faster now…? I hope]

2 Likes

YES, more than happy to do that.

2 Likes

Hi.
I have a working version of Rhino7 in a docker container.
Working great, integrated in a gnome desktop, even with a shortcut icon in the start menu.

I offered before in this thread creating a small tutorial for setting it up. It is actually easy for anybody with very small shell experience, just the basics. I never did that tutorial due to lack of time.

I have affinity with the work you do, and obviously common passions, great tools you do with Karorocad. I could help you with setting up a docker container with Rhino7 if you want.

Maybe we can collaborate on improving “Design tools for Wind/Wing/Kite” in the future. Our community is not that big, so it is worth cultivating it through collaboration.

Best
Manuel

3 Likes

Hi Manuel,

Thank you for your kind words about KaroroCAD - its been a project that has become much bigger than I thought it would.

That would be excellent to get that setup off you - I’m maybe a month or away from needing it.

I’m currently looking at new development PC setups. Once I’ve hit GO on the machine it will be setup with Windows, Linux and likely MacOS/Hackntosh so I have options for code testing.

I’ll be in touch as soon as I need your help.

I’m currently leaning towards PopOS as my Linux install unless there is a major reason not to head this way?

Cheers

DK

You may want to have a look at https://bazzite.gg/ or https://projectbluefin.io/

I havent tried yet, but both offer a good supprt for gpu drivers out of the box.