Rhino on Linux?

Hey Nathan, can a regular user try installing on Linux without worry for license issues or something? Since the license is sold as Rhino for Windows

1 Like

I have to say I don’t know what the legalities are here, but I think no-one at McNeel would object running Rhino like this, as long as you are using a valid license.

2 Likes

Rhino isn’t written for or supported on Linux. If you purchase a license and can get it to work, we won’t complain or try to intentionally take it away - but we also don’t expect it to work well. If we accidentally break your ability to run Rhino on your favorite Linux platform, we won’t put effort into restoring its function. You are welcome to return your license at that point for a full refund.

7 Likes

I can understand it, but for myself it’s unacceptable and that’s why I started to make Rhino 3D run on Linux with the help of Wine. So that you no longer have to access Windows or macOS as the operating system just to be able to use one or more programs for your tasks. :gear:

In any case, I’m happy to be able to help other people to use this wonderful program also on Linux, even if everything doesn’t work 100% properly at the moment. :warning:

But I think, with the support of the community, we can also be solving this problem in the future! :blush:

5 Likes

I looked at the crashdump that was generated on my system. In it the Windows version is set to be 6.2.9200, and that is obviously incorrect. Especially since I set Wine to Win 10. The crashdump further gives no useable information other than that only a few of the DLLs were loaded before the crash happened. No good callstack. The wrong Windows version is currently the only clue.

@cryinkfly let me know if I can help you with more info to get this solved.

1 Like

I was already familiar with the Windows 10 configuration in Wine. This is already done with the help of winetricks (see my instruction on my GitHub-Channel). :sweat_smile:

Then it’s so that the Installation of Rhino3D check which version of Windows is in use on your system and if you have for example Win7 then you get a error. :warning:

@cryinkfly let me know if I can help you with more info to get this solved.

Any help I can get is very good to make the program work on Linux. :+1:

Thank you for your help! :clap:

But if it’s possible, to publish the bug reports, etc. in the future on my GitHub-Project, then this makes it easier for me to coordinate the whole thing. :blush:

3 Likes

I have published a new video where I rendering a spare part for a hook rail. :grinning:

Here is the link: Mithilfe von Rhino 3D unter Linux ein Bauteil rendern lassen - [DE] - YouTube

2 Likes

Hi Steve, gratuliere und Hut ab für deine Bemühungen.

3 Likes

So here you can see that the thickness analysis works. :blush:

Link: Rhino-3D---Linux-Wine-Version-/thickness _analysis.png at main · cryinkfly/Rhino-3D---Linux-Wine-Version- · GitHub

4 Likes

Okay, you are now my favourite Rhino dev. I’ve been dreaming of the day somebody at McNeel said they’d like to see Rhino work on Linux.

5 Likes

Thank you for your great feedback! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@cryinkfly Did you ever manage to release the installation script ?
I am following your instructions but I don’t manage to make it work.

I have tried hard, the closest i got, I managed to add my activation key but then but my environment is not able to handle the response from the servers when trying to validate the key.
I tried 2 different accounts:

*** 1: with an expired evaluation key: On that case the environment could process the response from the servers and showed a message telling the license was expired.
*** 2: with a valid evaluation key: On that case the response from the servers could not be handled, and therefore the license was not validated.

Thanks for your work. It is of great value I believe.

When the installation works without any errors then YES. :slightly_smiling_face:

not sure how relevant that is, found this today

1 Like

Thank you for the heads-up.

With the author words: “I wish McNeel would get with the program and help make this run in Linux under Vulkan/Proton/Bottles better. Especially since Bottles rebased under Proton releases.”

Whenever Rhino is taking ages to do something I see that

• CPU usage is very low (sometimes single figure percentages)
  • GPU is around 1%
  • Disk almost nothing
  • Memory is slowly increasing

It looks like it is busy doing “nothing” so I’m guessing that there are a LOT of cache misses. But, really, I have no idea what is going on.

3D mesh data is a bunch of vertices and edges and surfaces. Breps are a bunch of edge lists and face lists, trimming info, etc, etc.

And all that data has to be editable so it’s unclear how it can be streamed as a linear array of small things for fast processing.

There are so many references: a face references its edges, trim curves, and they reference vertices. The data seems made to generate cache misses. I could be wrong but it seems to be the nature of, editable, 3D data.

Can any thread be scheduled on a processor that has had a cache miss until the data has been fetched?

Threads make sense if you have a lot of independent chunks of data and some threads are constantly getting blocked but others are free to run.

Is there any point in worrying about fast CPUs or Disks or Ram? I even had a server with big caches but it didn’t seem any different from a desktop CPU and Rhino was “the only” thing running on it.

Has anyone had success with high core count processors? Is Rhino any faster on them?

I will state that except for the rounded corners, Window 11 is a step down from Windows 10. I have even had occasional log-in problems.

Windows 11, and 10 too stutters in a lot of places. The GUI itself seems designed to slow the user. Group-by is a stupid, useless attempt at a feature, and it’s buggy to try to shut off, in the last patch. Show-More-Options is not only pointless, but they didn’t even put MS’s own stuff on the contextual dialog.

It is now taking a long time to lock-down Windows with any hint of privacy; in fact, locking this thing down is now a great part of the installation process. Windows seems to hide information in the WIndows Edge folders, likely what it’s uploading to MS. I don’t use Edge for anything–why the F is there so much in the cache?!

As ex-professional system builder, who has clean-installed Windows every since 3.0, about every year for my own systems, Windows 11 took a surprising amount of time to install on only 2 machines. There’s just too much to do, when they hate they both hate the user, and think that it’s their machine.

We now have layer after layer of unfinished GUI heading down to the system, where Windows 2000 GUI is still necessary. Why ever does it take so long to sort events in the log? Generally, MS is deleting and removing so many useful parts of the OS.

Now they have taken away to use low-power while being plugged in? They cannot even conceive that someone wouldn’t want the CPU and GPU ramping up until the GPU and GPU, to watch a movie, or read something.

In Windows 10/11, they have worked really hard to trick people into thinking they rebooted or shut-down their computer. They are so ignorant about any aspect of high-performance computing. I have had to make special shut-down icons. There’s also setting, but you can’t trust Microsoft.

Wow, it really takes a long time to boot Windows 11 and 10, for that matter.

How long do you think it would have taken to boot Windows 2000, on a 12-core 4GHZ machine with a PCIe SSD?

Maybe I can try to get Linus to do test it . : )

Just installed Rhino7 using Lutris on my SteamDeck machine and for now, Grasshopper looks like a horror game. :sweat_smile:

Followed this tutorial.

2 Likes

You know why there is so much cache…and you know why this cache is sent to MS.
cookies wheren’t so bad after all. since then we got super-cookies and now the data is extracted directly for your OS, Android has Facebook installed and not possible to remove, not even speaking of Mac OS… Edge reinstalls every update even if you force deinstalled it. BTW, Win 10 only reboots really if you hit restart. shut down doesn’t shut it down really. I have to force it every time I want to boot Linux from the other HD. Officially it is that you don’t have to wait the booting process, however, it is surely not the reason. It’s like you say. You buy a OS and they act as if the machine was theirs now (and all of your actions as well). MS don’t care for your experience or their product, but for your data only. Are we still paying money for this?? I honestly only have Windows, because Rhino doesn’t reliably work on Linux and I only had updated to Win10 because Rhino7 wouldn’t work on Win7.
I think Linux is the only alternative not to have analysed every keystroke and even times between doubleclicks or your girlfriends shoe size…
I very much hope McNeel one day will have enough interested people that it makes worth their time.

3 Likes

Another vote here, again, Rhino is the ONLY reason I run a windows 10 machine, I’d gladly move to Linux if McNeel would support it as an official version.

5 Likes