"Rhino Nurbs 3D Modeling" book

I want to learn how to build nurbs surfaces for a glider project I’m involved with. Is this book “Rhino Nurbs 3D Modeling” still valid and worthwhile? I’ve had a copy for years but never looked at it till now. Forgot I had it.

I am working on building wing surfaces and need to build NURB surfaces but keep coming up with polysurfaces. Just trying to figure out what I need to do to get NURBS.

Thanks.

To be honest, I can’t tell because I don’t know what’s in the book. What I can say is: The general concept of NURBS modelling is still the same today. So I guess most of the techniques from the past should still be valid today. (Please correct me if I’m wrong about this!)

I don’t really know what you are trying to model (feel free to share a sample picture) but this may clear some misconceptions:

• Polysurfaces are made out of individual NURBS-Surfaces.
  • Trimmed and Untrimmed NURBS-Surfaces can be joined together to create a Polysurface.
  • But: Only the individual surfaces can be edited using controlpoints.
  • Classic NURBS-Surfaces are quadrilateral, if you have a triangular surfaces or surfaces with holes in it, they are trimmed.
  • Trimming does not change the underlying surface itself. The trimmed areas are still part of the underlying surface.
  • If you’re going for “non-quadrilateral” NURBS, you most likely have to get involved with SubD modelling or T-Splines of some sort.

Hope this helps in some way!

1 Like

simplified complexity is really good and quite new. by Giancarlo Di Marco .
https://www.bookdepository.com/Simplified-Complexity-Giancarlo-Di-Marco/9788895315454?ref=grid-view&qid=1594301907512&sr=1-1

Download the Level 1 and Level 2 Manuals from this page. Each exercise comes with an example file. It’s super comprehensive…and FREE!

https://www.rhino3d.com/tutorials

Thanks. I’m trying to loft a wing for an RC model. I have a series of wing sections oriented on a curved leading edge.

I’ve seen that recently. Will look into it.

thanks.

Thanks, I will do that. That page showed me more things to look at as well.

Ok, I am in not any way expert, or even advanced, but a video series that solved almost 90% of all problems I had while modeling, and also, i’ve been applying some concepts while working with surfaces inside Solidworks as well, and it made my live easier there too, is this one:

Primary Surfacing

I am sorry I forgot his name, but he is damn active on this forum too, and I am sure someone will mention him just after I post this link :stuck_out_tongue:

He shared some basics that none of the Udemy courses or/and my university teacher (Naval Engineering, we see very little in Rhino, they basically just mention it and say, go and use it now) told.

I hope it helps, I know the series is kinda aimed to more advanced users, but it is just too amazing to not watch right now.

1 Like

Looking at 1st video. Lots on information there.