Rhino not utilizing available processing power

Hey guys, when handling a model with a fair amount of surfaces, I am seeing lagging and long waiting times for objects to be moved or rotated, yet looking at the performance monitor, it seems as if my PC is idling. How can I tell Rhino that there’s more power available?

Hi Daniel -

Rhino uses what the Windows OS provides.
I’m not sure why you are showing the memory part of the Task Manager - I assume you have an 8-core machine and 1 core is running 100%. In 3D modeling, not many tasks can be multi-core.
-wim

Hm, yeah that could be an argument, yet I don’t really see a consistent 100% usage even on just one core,
this is a snapshot while Rhino is calculating a gumball move for a good 30sec.

You’re misinterpreting what that info is telling you. For an application to NOT use all available (single-threaded) CPU power as quickly as possible would require extra programming effort. What it’s telling you is that the bottleneck is not raw CPU speed, it’s something else in the system. Memory bandwidth, updating changes on the video card, storage, Steve Ballmer personally dislikes you, something else.

This. :joy:

Thanks guys, yeah it’s hard to connect the dots and find the actual issue. Are there any tools out there that could help track down the bottleneck?

I don’t know of any, you can run benchmarks…it’s probably just a combination of everything…what is the PC? What’s the memory spec? Is dual or quad-channel memory being used?

Yeah I already know that my machine is not optimized for single core applications. It’s a Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core with 64GB RAM dual channel. Idk if that helps.

Could your memory be clocked any higher? I doubt it makes much of a difference but Ryzens are senstive to memory speed.