Rhino model and CAM processing

Hello everyone (:
I have one problem, I made one model in rhino for CAM purpose in Biesse bsolid,
The model was made from scratch as a valid 1 closed polysurface, (on the end converted with “to nurbs” options), but when exporting the model to a step file I got stp. when I import that stp file in fusion360 and check the model, got 2 “invalid” surface or solidworks (similar problem). After that I export that model in .step file, then import in the Biesse Bsolid for CAM procesing, but bsolid doesn’t recognize that model like analytics surface and does not allow 5-axis machining: /

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Can you import a simple sphere or cube into your Biesse software? Just to make sure it is a problem of your surface and not the import capabilities of your CAM software / license.

I remember having had huge trouble with a CNC partner in the past with such a machine…

Hello Martin,
thanks on fast respond,
yes I tried that already and everithing works normaly.

Difficult to say what the problem is then…

I’d try to split the object in two halves and join these again.

Can you post a Rhino file?

Yes I can,
Iskon.Jumbo

I can only open *.zip compressed files.

Here is nonziped file
Iskon.Jumbo

I tried to split and join again surfaces but bsolid crashed when opening stp file

1 Like

I managed to split your objects into two halves using a circle with 0.5 mm diameter and an isocurve. Just to make sure I capped each half into a closed brep and then did a boolean union into one closed brep.

Let me know if that works.

File deleted in my dropbox. See files in following post

Before u posted that model, iam tried split modle with plane and expor one half in stp, (becouse whole globe modle is too big for bsolid and he just crashing when import file)
but when file was imported got this sh…t

Can u split that model on “your way” and upload just one half that I can export that in stp and import in bsolid becouse when importing that whole model bsolid just crashing.

Two closed polysurfaces in separate files attached below:

kuglica_A.3dm (11.5 MB)
kuglica_B.3dm (11.5 MB)

1 Like

hello Martin,
Iam tried model A, import lasts aprox 30min. everithing is fine until start processing 5axis machining, it report “an error occurred while calculating processing”
but it alow selecting analytics surface. after perform step back the whole relief dissapear

I wil try import that in solidworks then export in .step, maybe then will work.

Nope, this happen when import (solidworks exported .step)

Surface is created with highfield from black and white jpeg
then options flowalongsrf, join naked edges, cap, editing, join, convert to nurbs,
exported in stp then… nothing :confused:

Before u posted that model, iam tried split modle with plane and expor one half in stp, (becouse whole globe modle is too big for bsolid and he just crashing when import file)
but when file was imported got this sh…t

Iam tried model A, import lasts aprox 30min. everithing is fine until start processing 5axis machining, it report “an error occurred while calculating processing”
but it alow selecting analytics surface. after perform step back the whole relief dissapear

This is a perfect example of why objects with high frequency detail should be generated and machined as meshes.

If you are doing sculptural work and your cam program can’t create toolpaths from imported meshes, then you need to get a module for CAM program that can, or get another CAM program that can.

The CAM software will try to break up and tesselate the nurbs surfaces for toolpathing which eventually crashes it. Maybe there is some high end software that can do this effectively from nurbs. Maybe someone here knows of such a CAM package?

I was going to suggest a mesh based workflow too. Just look at the isocurves on the poles of the sphere. Might be what’s causing trouble here…

Thanks every one for respons,
I think that doesnt exist CAM program which suport 5-axis machining from mesh model (that would be much easier)
But although there is such a program, would Biesse bsolid recognize and acept cnc program from that postprocesor?
that is, that program should have postprocesor for biesse rover c machine.

I used to have access to a biesse rover a 5 axis machine when I worked in a university workshop. I created a grasshopper tool to produce compatible gcode to run directly. The machine is incredibly capable, but the software I found very limiting (bsolid arrived when I was leaving so I haven’t tried it) It took a lot of trial and error to figure out the ancillary functions (dust hood, vacuum, pins, tool changes etc) but we were able to produce some great results. If you are interested in going down this route I’m happy to dig up the code and share.

2 Likes

Hi Janko,

from time to time I work on a Rover M5. In the beginning I got some 10-day introduction by a Biesse reseller. During that time and afterwards I found bSolid quite poor concerning importet 3D geometry (.iges, .step). Also I remember working wirh polymesh geometry is impossible or even poorer. In my eyes bSolid ist a WOP software (workshop oriented programming) that enables craftmen to generate nc progras for woodworking purposes. And rhis kind of programing is quite effective and easy. But if you want to do bespoke works with a bit more sophisticated 3D models generated in other CAD software, in my case Rhino, you will struggle. If you import 3D models and you want to make changes of the geometry, remachine parts and so on your headache will get even worse.

At the end we decided to buy a madcam 5axis licences with a custom postprocessor for this machine. I use madcam with a couple of 3-axis machines for years. Now I am very happy with this solution. Though you don‘t have all the features bSolid offers (parametric programming, simulation, table preview etc.).

It depends on what you want to do, bespoke 3D 5-axis machining or usual carpenter stuff. Madcam offers as far as I know postprocessors for the Rover A and C.

I hope I could help you with this.

Regards

Collaborating firms were top tech woodworking from Belgrade and madCAM CNC from Romakloster.

1 Like

That would be great, but I am not into grasshopper yet, ( I think that would be dificult to run)