Rhino layout

Hi,

I would like to ask about the process of a plugin development. I am total beginner, and I am looking for a solution to:

database: rhino files and details can be browsed from external resources (for example Openoffice Base) and can be filterable.

also would be nice an automated Layout population for the selected items. And other toys for rhino.

Can it be accomplished by an absolute beginner with no programing experience?

cheers

(Brian Gillespie) #2

Can you describe in more detail what you’re after here? Are you looking for a tool that allows OpenOffice Base to read Rhino 3DM files? Or something else?

I’m not sure what you mean here. Can you please elaborate?

Sure, but you’ll need to gain some programming experience along the way, and also figure out exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Computers only do what you program them to do, and without a very clear understanding of what you’re trying to do, you won’t be able to write the code.

(Brian Gillespie) #3

Also, in Rhino we use the word “Layout” to mean “a 2-D layout of geometry in pages to be sent to a printer or PDF file” - is this also how you’re using the word?

Hi Brian,

Yes, So I forgot to mention the direction via applications I meant use Openoffice base as a database records, information can be inserted in rhino file.
For example: If I have a furniture project, and I have a database with items for timber, fabric, and other accessories that has many features according to its nature, all everything is for fabrication and I would like to create and fill my project document and drawings with this data (also would be nice to select a record and link it to a Rhino text field). For example, lets have a look at the frame of the furniture I need timber, I want to select the size, the wood type, physical features, distributor and its price from the database.

After the project is designed and documented I need to put everything on Layout 2D, however I have the standard scheme and project drawings are already organized in 3D space with their page frame.
I thought of a script that could populate, create lots of layouts according to the selection of the frames and by a reference text (name of the layout being created) for each frame.

something like this, :smiley:

(Brian Gillespie) #5

Sounds ambitious. What you describe is probably possible, but it will take you a lot more time to design and build those tools than you might think. Perhaps selecting a very small piece and figuring out how to do that first would be best.

Hi brian,

Yes, I agree with you. First I have to found out which language is the most suitable to connect database, but what the most important which has a shortest learning curve. At the moment I am thinking between Python and VB.
As regards, First step would be to get one line of record from an external program.